Secretary of State ALERT
- SECRETARY OF STATE ALERT
Secretary of State offices are open. To protect staff and public health, offices will only provide services by appointment, and only offer critical services that cannot be completed online, by mail or at a self-service station. Advance appointments become available six months ahead of time. Next-day appointments become available for booking the previous weekday at 8 a.m. and noon. Many transactions can be completed from home by mail or using online services. Vehicle registration tabs can be printed immediately at any of our self-service stations.
**NOTE: Gov. Whitmer signed legislation that temporarily extends the expirations of all Michigan driver’s licenses, state IDs and vehicle registrations through September 30.
**NOTE: From Aug. 24, through Sept. 30, all branch offices will extend hours until 7 p.m. to offer special appointments for residents to renew driver’s licenses or state ID cards that expire between Jan. 1 and Oct. 31, 2020, and require a branch visit. Customers with driver’s licenses or state ID cards that meet that criteria can schedule an appointment between 4 and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday from Aug. 24 through Sept. 30, 2020. To make an appointment, visit Michigan.gov/SOSAppointments or call 888-SOS-MICH (767-6424).
Driver's License & State ID
- Register to vote
Did you know that you can now register to vote on the Michigan Voter Information Center?
- Is a REAL ID-compliant Driver's License or State ID Right for You?
Beginning Oct. 1, 2021, Michigan residents traveling domestically by plane in the U.S. must show a REAL ID-compliant document at the airport. Read more to discover if a Michigan REAL ID-compliant driver’s license or state ID is the right choice for you.
- Driver License Hearing Request
All requests for driver license hearings must be in writing.
- CDL Drivers: U.S. Citizenship or Legal Presence Documentation Required
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration enacted new regulations. The federal regulations and Michigan law require all drivers who have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) or Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Legal Presence in the United States when they apply for a duplicate, correction or renewal of their next CDL license.
It takes approximately three weeks to receive an EDL or Enhanced ID. If you must travel before receiving the EDL or Enhanced ID, check the document requirements with the U.S. Border Crossing at 313-393-3793.
- SAVE, Awareness Video, Driver's License, State ID, USCIS, immigration documents, legal presence
This video explains how SAVE functions to help many local, state and federal government agencies verify immigration status.
- CDL Self and Medical Certification
Because of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) regulations, drivers who are renewing, correcting or applying for an original Commercial Driver License (CDL) must self-certify which type of commercial motor vehicle (CMV) operation they will perform.
- Sign up for SOS News!
Find out everything that's going on in the Department of State by reading the SOS-Express Newsletter. To receive the newsletter in your email inbox or to receive texts, go to our sign-up page.
Michigan law requires the Secretary of State’s Office to share data, including photos, with law enforcement.
Online Services and Information
- Applying for license or ID? - Applicant Checklist
- Become an Organ Donor
- Branch Office Locator
- CDL Self and Medical Certification
- Driver Responsibility Program
- Driver's License Fees
- Driving Skills Testing Organizations
- Foreign Driver License Reciprocity
- Emergency Medical Card
- Michigan Rider Education Program Training Courses
- Obtain Your Driving Record
- Renew Driver's License
- Replace Driver's License
- Where to get an Enhanced License or ID
Frequently Used Forms and Publications
- Identification Requirements for Obtaining a Michigan Driver's License or State Identification Card
- What Every Driver Must Know
- Driving Skills Test Study Guide (SOS-360)
- Michigan CDL Manual
- Michigan Graduated Driver License: A Guide for Parents
- Motorcycle Operator Manual
- Request for Hearing (SOS-257/258)
- Additional Driver-Related Forms and Publications
- ¿Necesita una licencia o tarjeta de identificación? (SOS-428SP)
- Driver's License or ID Requirements Arabic (SOS-428AR)