The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
License or ID name correction
What do I need to correct my name on my driver’s license or ID? (Choose tab)
Proof of identity
Proof of name change
CDL name changes
To correct your name at a Secretary of State office, you will need to provide:
- Your current license or ID
- Official proof of the change to your legal name from the Social Security Administration
You must provide at least one of the following documents showing the change from your previous legal name to your current name:
- Court order
- Original marriage certificate
- Certified divorce decree issued in the U.S.
If you have changed your name more than once in your lifetime, you may need to provide multiple name-change documents.
If you are correcting your name on a commercial driver’s license (CDL), you will also need to provide at least one document proving citizenship or legal presence in the United States:
- Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
- Certified birth certificate with stamp or raised seal issued by a U.S. government unit or U.S. territory government office
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. State Department (FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545)
- Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
- Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, N-578)
- Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
- Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or other evidence of permanent residency (I-551 visa/stamp in passport or on I-94)
- Valid Employment Authorization Document (I-766)
- Valid, unexpired foreign passport with U.S. visa and evidence of entry:
- F-visa holders: Form I-20
- J-visa holders: DS-2019
- Not acceptable: B1 and B2 visas and WB, and WT visa stamps
- Other immigration documents that show legal presence and/or ability to work in the U.S., including Form I-94, State Department bio-data form, and supervision documents (other documents may be accepted)
- Expired immigration documents along with Form I-797 (Notice of Action) showing that new documents have been applied for
Documents may need to be verified by the federal Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) System.
Provide payment using a credit or debit card (additional fees apply), cash, or check or money order made payable to the State of Michigan for the license or ID correction fee.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
What is the cost to change my name on my driver’s license or ID?
Driver’s license – $9
ID – $10
What if I don’t inform the Social Security Administration of my name change?
If you don’t inform the Social Security Administration of your name change, the Secretary of State’s office can’t process your name change. The department verifies all names and Social Security Numbers before issuing a license or ID. If your name and date of birth don’t match with what is on file at the Social Security Administration, your application will be denied.
To process a name change with the Social Security Administration, you must provide proof of your identity, legal presence and name change. Additional proof may be requested.
What documented proof of my legal name change is required at a Secretary of State office?
You will need to bring documented proof of your legal name change, such as a court order, marriage license, certified divorce decree, etc.
You may also provide other evidence that you have been using the name for at least six months.
Multiple documents may be needed if your name has changed more than once. Name-change documents must show both the changed name and the previous name.
Divorce decrees may be used if they are certified (copies aren’t accepted) and if they show the changed name and the previous name.
What documents can be used as proof of citizenship or proof of legal presence?
If your driving record doesn’t indicate you are a U.S. citizen, you will need proof of U.S. citizenship (certified birth certificate, U.S. passport, etc.) or proof of your immigration status. Immigration documents must be verified through the federal government’s SAVE application. Verification may take more than one day.
How will I receive my new driver's license or ID?
Our staff will take a new photo and issue you a temporary paper credential to use until your corrected driver’s license or ID arrives in the mail.