Skip to main content

Mobile homes

Mobile homes are titled in Michigan. Up until 1978, mobile homes were titled as a "trailer coach." Since 1978, they are titled as mobile homes. The title is identified as a "Certificate of Manufactured Home Ownership" or "Certificate of Mobile Home Title." These documents look like a vehicle title and serve the same purpose.

When a person buys a mobile home from a dealer, the dealer applies for the purchaser's new mobile home title using the Dealer Application for Certificate of Mobile Home Ownership. When an owner sells their mobile home, they assign the title to the new owner. The new owner brings the assigned title to a Secretary of State office to have it transferred into their name. An S-110L Application for Certificate of Manufactured Home Ownership is processed at the branch office. The fee for an original or transferred mobile home title is $90.

If your mobile home title is lost, you may replace it by processing a duplicate title application at a Secretary of State office. When there is joint ownership on a title, only one of the owners must appear and sign the duplicate title application. An Appointment of Agent form from the co-owner is not required.

Duplicate titles may also be ordered through our Online Services. They can only be issued to the owner listed on the title document.

Whether you apply for a duplicate title at a branch office or online, the cost is $15. It will be mailed within 14 days. Same-day title service is not available for mobile home titles.


Abandoned mobile homes and missing titles

  • Mobile home park owners and operators often ask how they can obtain a title for a mobile home that has been abandoned in their park by the mobile home owner. The mobile home owner can assign their mobile home title to the mobile home park. This is the easiest method for mobile homes abandoned in a mobile home park, although usually the owner who abandoned the mobile home cannot be contacted for an assigned title. When the assigned title is not available, a court order may be necessary. For more information, please refer to the section, "Obtaining a court order."

  • Mobile home owners who need a title for a mobile home that was not properly recorded with the Michigan Department of State, or is titled in another owner's name, should have the previous mobile home owner assign their mobile home title to the current mobile home owner. This is the easiest method for a mobile home with a missing title. Previous owners who sold the mobile home may be required to obtain a duplicate title to properly assign the title to the current owner. When a duplicate title is not available, please refer to the section, "Obtaining a court order," for more information.


  • If the options for obtaining a title under "Abandoned mobile homes" and "Mobile homes with missing title" are not available, a park owner or current mobile home owner may obtain a court order awarding ownership that will serve in the place of an assigned title. The court order must identify the mobile home by year, make, vehicle identification/manufacturer's serial number and assign ownership under the proper name or names. In addition, the order must terminate any previous lien or liens, if applicable, and indicate any new lienholder information if applicable.

    The Department of State has been advised that some circuit courts across the state are not familiar with accepting petitions for the awarding of mobile home ownership. Due to the lack of familiarity amongst some courts, the Michigan Department of State is providing this information when filing a petition with the court.

    While there is no specified procedure or form, some courts will accept a filing petition to award ownership of a vehicle. Alternatively, some individuals have had success (when the mobile home is being conveyed along with the underlying real property) by filing a quiet title type action.

    PLEASE NOTE: Any individual or entity with an interest in the property/mobile home should be named as a defendant. The Department of State should not be named as a defendant in any case filing, as this may delay the title issuance process. Courts should not order the Michigan Department of State to issue a mobile home title, they should indicate the proper owner of the mobile home in addition to the information already mentioned. Upon receipt of the court order, the Michigan Department of State will be able to issue a mobile home title when accompanied by the application for title, and title fee.

    This web page is provided for informational purposes only and should not be interpreted as legal advice. You may wish to consult with an attorney.


Title application process

  • Submit the assigned title or court order to a Secretary of State branch office to apply for a mobile home title in the name of the park.
  • The park will need to provide a termination (discharge) of lien if the assigned title or the Department of State's title record shows there is a first secured party (bank loan).
  • The title fee is $90. A 6% use tax is due on the value of the mobile home. The park owner declares the mobile home's value when applying for the title.
  • Once the new mobile home title is issued in the name of the mobile home park, the mobile home park is the legal owner. You can rent the mobile home or use the title to sell it or, if you wish to scrap the mobile home, take it to a recycler for shredding. You will need to assign the title to the recycling center.
Note: These options are available to mobile home park owners, mobile home dealers, and individuals.