Skip to main content

Motorcycle riders

Getting your motorcycle endorsement (CY)

  • Find and complete an approved training course.

    • If you completed training before March 16, 2021 or out-of-state, visit a branch office and present your certificate of completion to obtain your CY.
    • If you completed training after March 16, 2021, you should receive your certificate of completion via email with instructions to either go online or visit a Secretary of State office to obtain your CY.

    Locate a MI-REP sponsor

  • If you don’t enroll in a MI-REP course, you can visit a Secretary of State office to apply for a temporary instruction permit (TIP). To be issued a TIP, you will need to complete the following:

    • Vision test
    • Written knowledge exam

    After passing both, you will be issued a TIP to practice riding with an endorsed motorcyclist, and under certain restrictions, for up to 180 days. 

    Schedule an office visit

    Michigan Motorcycle Operator Manual

    Then, schedule a Rider Skills Test (RST) with a driver testing business. Upon passing the RST, the driver testing business will submit your result to the Michigan Department of State. 

    You will receive a driving skills test receipt with instructions how to add your CY to your license online through your online Secretary of State account or by visiting a Secretary of State office.

    Search for Driver Testing Business Locations 

Enrolling in the Michigan Rider Education Program (MI-REP)

  • You must bring the following items to participate in a course:

    • Department of Transportation (DOT) compliant or Snell-approved helmet (required)
    • Eye protection (e.g. googles or glasses) – (required, even with a face shield helmet)
    • Boots with a hard sole that cover your ankles (required – high heels and high-top tennis shoes are not permitted)
    • Long sleeve jacket or heavy long sleeve shirt
    • Heavy duty long pants
    • Full-fingered gloves
    • Rain and cold weather gear, as needed
    • Pencil or pen

    The Basic Rider Course (BRC) includes a training motorcycle (under 500cc) that is provided by the course sponsor. The other courses offered require you to provide your own road-worthy motorcycle properly registered and insured. 

    Check with the course sponsor for more information.

  • MI-REP course fees depend on whether the course is provided by a public or private sponsor.

    • Tuition – Public sponsors: $50
    • Tuition – Private sponsors: Fees for private courses are not regulated by the department. Students are encouraged to inquire about course fees, refund, or no-show policies prior to paying for the class.

    Use the MI-REP training locator to find public and private course sponsors in your area and enroll. 

    Locate a MI-REP sponsor

MI-REP State Coordinator

  • Michigan Rider Education Program (MI-REP) State Coordinator
    Michigan Department of State
    430 West Allegan Street
    Lansing, Michigan 48918


MI-REP courses (Choose tab)

For beginners to learn to ride and earn their motorcycle endorsement on a furnished motorcycle. The course will address:

  • What to wear
  • How to start and stop your motorcycle
  • Motorcycle controls
  • Safety and street strategies to avoid trouble 
  • How to maneuver your motorcycle in tough situations

The Basic Rider Course is a 15-hour program, which provides classroom and actual motorcycle operator training in a controlled, off-street environment. 
No experience is necessary, and motorcycles are provided; a good sense of balance is required (you must be able to ride a bicycle).  

The minimum age permitted to take this course is 15.

Locate a MI-REP sponsor

BRC Rider Handbook (Motorcycle Safety Foundation)  


 One day course for experienced riders who want to brush up on their skills at higher speeds on their own motorcycle and earn the motorcycle endorsement. 

This is a one-day program combining elements of the Basic Rider Course (BRC) that includes a knowledge test and skill tests. It is designed for riders who possess the skills to ride a motorcycle. The training includes an informal classroom component for discussing safety concepts based on past riding experiences and current knowledge.  

Successful completion of this course allows you to visit a Secretary of State office to obtain motorcycle endorsement in lieu of taking a Rider Skills Test.  

Locate a MI-REP sponsor 

This is a one-day (approximately 8-hour) program combining elements of the Basic Rider Course (BRC) that includes a knowledge test and skill tests. It is designed for riders who possess basic skills, but who may have not been riding for several years. 

Successful completion of this course allows you to go to a Secretary of State office to obtain motorcycle endorsement in lieu of taking a Rider Skills Test. 

The Returning Rider Course offers practice for motorcyclists with some riding experience who want to brush up on their skills or who want to obtain the motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license. 

Students must provide their own motorcycle and proof of insurance. The motorcycle must be properly titled and registered, display a valid license plate and pass a safety inspection. Automatic shift motorcycles will be allowed in this class.

Locate a MI-REP sponsor

For beginners who want to learn to ride three-wheel motorcycles instead of two-wheel motorcycles and earn a special (3-wheel only) motorcycle endorsement.

The course includes:

  • Four (4) hours of classroom activities 
  • Up to eight (8) hours of on-cycle riding exercises
  • Written knowledge test 
  • On-road skills test are required to pass the course

Successful completion will allow you to waive the written knowledge test at a Secretary of State office. You may also be eligible for an insurance discount. Some locations provide three-wheel motorcycles and others require students to provide their own three-wheel motorcycle and proof of insurance. The motorcycle must be properly titled and registered, display a valid license plate and pass a safety inspection. 

Locate a MI-REP sponsor 

3WBRC Rider Handbook (Motorcycle Safety Foundation)  

Advanced Rider Course (ARC)

The Advanced Rider Course is for riders who already have their endorsement and who want to sharpen their riding skills. The course is beneficial for riders on any type of street motorcycle. The one-day course complements a rider's basic skills and helps with personal risk assessment, through:

  • A fast-paced classroom segment with several interactive activities to improve perception and hazard awareness
  • Range exercises to enhance both basic skills and crash avoidance skills
  • Instruction on improving braking and cornering finesse
  • Evaluating riding style and improving baseline skills along with learning advanced techniques for handling quick stops, cornering and curves

Students must provide their own motorcycle and proof of insurance. The motorcycle must be properly titled and registered, display a valid license plate and pass a safety inspection.

Locate a MI-REP sponsor

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

  • Yes, a motorcycle endorsement (CY) is required to operate a motorcycle or three-wheeled motorcycle (trike) on public roads in Michigan. Operating without a motorcycle endorsement (CY) may result in a fine and/or imprisonment.

    In addition to the legal requirements, completing motorcycle rider education courses help prepare motorcyclists for safe riding experiences. Unendorsed motorcyclists continue to be over-represented in motorcycle crashes and fatalities.

    Locate a MI-REP sponsor
  • The unendorsed motorcyclist continues to be over-represented in motorcycle crashes and fatalities. In the fall of 2016, legislation was passed and signed by the Governor that increased the penalties for operating a motorcycle in Michigan without the proper endorsement. 

    A rider’s first violation is punishable by a $500 fine and/or 90 days in jail, or both. A second offense is punishable by a $1,000 fine and/or 1 year in jail, or both. 

    Motorcyclist safety (Office of Highway Safety Planning)

  • First-time CY or permit: $16 (plus any fees for other license transactions)

    Renewal: $7 + license renewal fee

    Correction/replacement: $9

    Information about licenses and IDs

  • No riding experience is required to enroll in a course, but you do need the ability to balance and stabilize a two-wheeled vehicle.

  • You must successfully complete the motorcycle safety course if:

    • You are under the age of 18 
    • You are 18 years or older and have failed the motorcycle rider skills test twice
  • A waiver is granted to students who complete and pass one of the following courses:

    • Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic RiderCourse (BRC) or Returning Rider Course (RRC)
    • MI-REP Basic RiderCourse (BRC)
    • MI-REP Basic RiderCourse 2 (BRC2)
    • MI-REP Returning Rider Basic RiderCourse (RRBRC)
  • The motorcycle endorsement from another state will transfer to your new Michigan license. If you experience any difficulty you may contact the Michigan Department of State's Internal Services Section at 517-636-5872, or email for information on handling the transaction.

  • In Michigan, a student who completes and passes the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF), Basic Rider Course (BRC), or the Returning Rider Course (RRC) is granted a “waiver” to taking the Rider Skills Test (RST) and the Secretary of State (SOS) Branch Office knowledge test when applying for their motorcycle endorsement (CY) on their driver’s license.

    The following training curriculums and courses are approved as waiver substitutes for motorcycle rider training courses offered in Michigan when seeking an endorsement. Refer to the Reciprocity for Out-of-State Motorcycle Rider Training Courses flier for more information.

    Idaho Star – Basic I (BIC)
    Team Oregon – Basic rider training (BRT)
    Lee Parks Total Control – Intermediate riding clinic (IRC)
    California Motorcyclist Safety Program (CMSP) – Motorcyclist training course (MTC)
    Harley-Davidson® Riding Academy - New rider course (NRC)
    Motorcycle Ohio Program – Basic rider skills (BRS)

    Individuals who have successfully completed one of the courses listed and wish to obtain their cycle endorsement on their Michigan driver’s license MUST provide a valid certificate of completion from the provider of the course. The certificate of completion must include a certifying/authorized signature and the date of the course completion (which must be one year or less from the date of the endorsement application).
  • If you are an experienced rider with good riding and communication skills, you may qualify to become a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) certified Rider Coach. Becoming a MSF RiderCoach is a great way to improve your own abilities while helping others to learn or enhance their riding skills.

    To become a certified RiderCoach, you must:

    • Be 18 years of age or older
    • Have a valid driver's license with a motorcycle (CY) endorsement for a minimum of 1 year
    • Pass the Basic Rider Course (BRC) within 1 calendar year before attending the RiderCoach Preparation Course
    • Have no more than six points on your driving record for moving violations during the 12 months before applying for approval as a RiderCoach
    • Be sponsored by a Michigan Rider Education Program (MI-REP) sponsor.  Contact your local sponsor to become a RiderCoach
    • Apply to a RiderCoach training program

    The following programs offer training for experienced riders interested in becoming MSF-certified RiderCoaches:

    Locate a MI-REP sponsor


    "Become a Rider Coach" video

  • You do not need a CY endorsement to operate a moped.

    A moped is defined as:

    • Having an engine displacement not exceeding 100cc
    • No manual gearshift
    • Top speed of no more than 30 mph on a level surface

    If the vehicle does not meet all three requirements, it is considered a motorcycle and requires a CY endorsement on your license.

    A scooter may be considered a moped or a motorcycle depending on its size and top speed.