Skip to main content


What is REAL ID?

Beginning May 7, 2025, Michigan residents will need to present a REAL ID-compliant document to fly within the United States and enter certain federal facilities to comply with federal law. REAL ID requirements ensure the secure production and issuance of licenses and IDs to prevent copying or altering.

Michigan’s old license and ID design, which is being phased out by January 2029, features a star in a gold circle to indicate REAL ID compliance. The state’s new license design features a star in a silhouette of Michigan.

Old and new Michigan driver's license

Standard license or ID

Old: Standard REAL ID-compliant licenses and IDs will display a star in a gold circle in the upper right corner.

New: Standard REAL ID-compliant licenses and IDs will display a star in a silhouette of Michigan in the upper right corner.

Schedule an office visit

Old and new Michigan enhanced driver's license

Enhanced license or ID

Enhanced licenses and IDs are automatically REAL ID-compliant, regardless of whether they display this star.

Schedule an office visit

Deadlines and requirements

The REAL ID requirement takes effect May 7, 2025. You can still convert your license or ID to REAL ID after the deadline at a Secretary of State office.

You aren’t required to convert your license or ID to become REAL ID-compliant. However, beginning May 2025, you will need to present a REAL ID document when you:

  • Board a domestic flight in the U.S.
  • Enter a military base or nuclear power plant.
  • Visit certain federal buildings.

If you have a valid, unexpired Michigan enhanced license or ID, U.S. passport, or DHS Trusted Traveler’s card, you are already REAL ID-compliant.

Converting to REAL ID

To convert to REAL ID, visit a Secretary of State office and provide the following documents:

  • Your current Michigan driver’s license or ID.
  • A valid, unexpired U.S. passport, birth certificate, or other proof of legal presence document
  • A certified legal name-change document, if your name is different from what is on your birth certificate.

There’s no added charge for converting to REAL ID if you do so at the time of renewing or replacing your license or ID. Otherwise, there is a correction fee ($9 for license; $10 for ID) to convert to REAL ID.

Schedule an office visit

Frequently asked questions

  • Beginning May 7, 2025, you will need to show a REAL ID-compliant document to board a plane for domestic travel or to enter certain federal facilities, military bases, and nuclear power plants.

    If your license or ID is not REAL ID compliant, you may show another REAL ID document, such as a valid U.S. passport or passport card.

    You can still use your valid, unexpired standard license or ID as legal identification for cashing checks, renting vehicles, purchasing alcohol and tobacco, or entering casinos after May 7, 2025. A standard license or ID will have "Not for Federal Identification" printed on it.

  • No, a REAL ID will not be required for jury duty, even if it's in a federal building.

  • All state-issued identification will be accepted when voters are asked to show valid ID when voting. Regardless of whether a voter has a standard, enhanced or REAL ID-compliant driver's license or ID card, the voter's card will be accepted as valid identification. Voters who do not have valid state-issued identification or another accepted identity document may sign an Affidavit of Identity.

  • If you are a lawfully present non-U.S. citizen, including permanent and non-permanent residents, you are eligible to apply for a REAL ID driver's license or ID card or turn your current Michigan driver's license or state ID into a REAL ID. In either case, you'll need to schedule a visit at a Michigan Secretary of State office and bring the required legal presence document.

    It's important to note that some documents already in the possession of non-US citizens qualify as REAL ID and will be acceptable for flying domestically when the law goes into effect on May 7, 2025. These include:

    • Permanent resident card
    • Foreign government-issued passport
    • Canadian provincial driver's license or Indian and Northern Affairs Canada card
    • U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Employment Authorization Card (I-766)

Still have questions?

More FAQs