Skip to main content

Chauffeur's license

How can I apply for a chauffeur's license?

Computer screen showing the Online Services webpage

Unavailable for this transaction


Blue mailbox with two envelopes inside

Unavailable for this transaction


Two self-service stations

Unavailable for this transaction


Monthly calendar

Office visit

Complete your business in an average of 20 minutes

Schedule an office visit

What do I need to apply for a chauffeur’s license? (Choose tab)

To apply for a standard chauffeur’s license at a Secretary of State office, you will need to provide:

  • Your current Michigan driver’s license
  • Proof of citizenship or legal presence in the United States
  • Proof of your Social Security number (if you’re applying for an enhanced chauffeur’s license)

To apply for a chauffeur’s license, you will need to provide at least one document proving your legal presence in the United States:

  • Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
  • Certified birth certificate with stamp or raised seal issued by a U.S. government unit or U.S. territory government office
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. State Department (FS-240, DS-1350, or FS-545)
  • Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561)
  • Certificate of Naturalization (N-550, N-570, N-578)
  • Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
  • Valid, unexpired Permanent Resident Card (I-551) or other evidence of permanent residency (I-551 visa/stamp in passport or on I-94)
  • Valid Employment Authorization Document (I-766)
  • Valid, unexpired foreign passport with U.S. visa and evidence of entry:
    - F-visa holders: Form I-20
    - J-visa holders: DS-2019
    - Not acceptable: B1 and B2 visas and WB, and WT visa stamps
  • Other immigration documents that show legal presence and/or ability to work in the U.S., including Form I-94, State Department bio-data form, and supervision documents (other documents may be accepted)
  • Expired immigration documents along with Form I-797 (Notice of Action) showing that new documents have been applied for

Documents may need to be verified by the federal Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlements (SAVE) System.

To be issued a chauffeur’s license, you will need to complete and pass the following tests at your Secretary of State office visit:

  • Vision test
  • Written knowledge exam

In place of the written knowledge exam, you can also provide a valid commercial driver’s license or commercial learner’s permit.

Schedule an office visit

Provide payment using a credit or debit card (additional fees apply), cash, or check or money order made payable to the State of Michigan for chauffeur’s license fees.

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

  • Unless you are exempt, you need a chauffeur’s license if you:

    • Are employed for the principal purpose of operating a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 10,000 pounds or more
    • Operate a motor vehicle as a carrier of passengers or as a common or contract carrier of property
    • Operate a bus or a school bus

    Additional information about requirements and exemptions is listed in the TS-025 Your Michigan Chauffeur License brochure. Some situations are exempt from requiring a chauffeur’s license.

  • The fee for a chauffeur’s license is $35. If you are a U.S. citizen and would like to obtain an enhanced chauffeur’s license, the fee is $50 (proof of U.S. citizenship is required).

  • If you have a valid commercial driver’s license or a commercial learner’s permit, you don’t need to pass the chauffeur’s knowledge exam, as the information in the exam is covered in the commercial driver’s license exam. Also, you don’t need to take the chauffeur’s knowledge exam if you have a Michigan chauffeur's license that expired in the last 4 years.

  • You will need to pass a 15-question knowledge exam. Knowledge exams are taken at a testing station using a computer screen. To help you prepare for the exam, the TS-025 Your Michigan Chauffeur License brochure is available on our website. No driving skills test is required unless you have never been licensed.

  • The chauffeur’s license exam is available in English, Spanish, and Arabic.

  • If your license is misplaced, you will need to provide multiple documents to prove your identity (U.S. passport, birth certificate, etc.) and your citizenship.

  • If you are a U.S. citizen, you can apply for an enhanced chauffeur’s license. Proof of U.S. citizenship is required, such as a certified birth certificate or U.S. passport.

  • If the Michigan Department of State hasn’t verified your Social Security Number, proof of your SSN is needed, such as a Social Security card or tax form. A document showing the last four numbers of your SSN can be accepted, but you must verbally provide the full number.

Still have questions?

More FAQs