Skip to main content

License, ID or permit replacement

How can I replace a lost or stolen license, ID or permit?

How do I replace a lost or stolen license, ID, or permit? (Choose tab)

To replace a lost or stolen license, ID or permit online, you must:

  • Go to Online Services.
  • In the “Driver’s License and ID” section, select “More Driver Services.”
  • Follow the prompts to create or login to your account.
  • Select the appropriate option to “Replace Driver’s License” or “Replace State ID.” (To replace a permit, select “More…” and then select the appropriate option.)
  • Follow the prompts and pay with credit or debit card (additional fees apply) or e-check/bank account number.

Go to Online Services

If you are traveling in the U.S. and lose your license, ID or permit, complete a Duplicate Driver's License Application and mail or fax it to the Department of State Internal Services Section to request a replacement and obtain a temporary permit.

Michigan Department of State
Internal Services Section
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48918

Phone: 517-636-5872
Fax: 517-636-5865

If you need to replace a standard driver's license and are ineligible for a Social Security number, you must provide a letter of ineligibility from the Social Security Administration and proof of legal presence. You must have a valid Social Security number to obtain an enhanced license. All Social Security information will be verified.

If you will be back in the state within 180 days, a temporary extension permit will be mailed. If you will not be back in Michigan within that time, a temporary extension permit will be mailed along with a duplicate driver's license application.

Duplicate driver's license application

You may purchase a replacement license, ID or permit and print a temporary credential at one of more than 160 self-service stations.

Find a self-service station

You can request a duplicate (replacement) driver’s license, ID or permit by scheduling a visit to any Secretary of State office, as long as your license or ID has not expired or been cancelled. You will need proof of identification and your Social Security number.

Schedule an office visit

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

  • $9 for standard.
    $24 for enhanced.

  • You may locate the number on your vehicle registration or your tax return, or you may obtain it by calling your insurance company. You may also renew/replace at a self-service station by providing your full name, date of birth and Social Security number.

  • You may place an alert for law enforcement on your driving record using the Driver Record Alert Request form.

    Driver Record Alert Request form

  • Acceptable identity documents for the standard and enhanced licenses vary, but some acceptable documents include a valid, unexpired passport, a certified copy of your birth certificate with a raised seal issued by a U.S. or U.S. territory government office, federal or Michigan government-issued photo ID or a valid U.S. military photo ID. More than one document may be required. Faxes and photocopies are not accepted.

    Acceptable documents

Still have questions?

More FAQs