Skip to main content

License surrender

How can I surrender my license and receive an ID?

Computer screen showing the Online Services webpage

Unavailable for this transaction


Blue mailbox with two envelopes inside

Unavailable for this transaction


Two self-service stations

Unavailable for this transaction


Monthly calendar

Office visit

Complete your business in an average of 20 minutes

Schedule an office visit

What do I need to surrender my license and receive an ID? (Choose tab)

This transaction is not available online.

This transaction is not available by mail.

This transaction is not available at self-service stations.

To surrender your driver's license and receive an ID at an office, you will need to provide your license.

If your license is more than 4 years expired, you will need to provide these documents to receive your ID:

  • Proof of your Social Security number
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of citizenship or legal presence
  • Proof of Michigan residency (two documents)

For residents who are out of state and need to surrender a license by mail, submit a written and signed request, along with the actual license, to:
Michigan Department of State
Driver Records Activity Unit
7064 Crowner Drive
Lansing, MI 48918

If canceling a deceased family member’s license or ID, submit a written request that includes a certified copy of the death certificate, and the license/ID if in possession of it.

Schedule an office visit

Required documents 

Frequently asked questions (FAQs)

  • You can either continue to renew your license to use it as your legal identification or you can voluntarily surrender your license and get an ID. This transaction requires an in-person visit as you will have to take a new photo.

    • If you would like to reinstate your driver’s license after it was canceled, the knowledge test and skills test are waived if the canceled license expiration date is still current or expired up to four years. If the canceled license is expired more than four years, you will have to pass the vision and written knowledge tests, obtain a temporary instruction permit, and pass an driving skills test through a driver testing business. The 30-day practice period is waived.
    • If your license was canceled because of a medical condition, or the license was revoked by Driver Assessment because of a medical condition, you will need to complete a DA-4P Physician’s Statement and submit it for review before the license would be issued. 
  • A vehicle can be titled in your name without a license, but to maintain the registration and plate there will need to be a licensed adult listed on the registration. There cannot be a registration hold on your record. You may also wish to contact your insurance company for any requirements it may have. 

  • No. When you move out of state, your Michigan license will be canceled in our records when your new state of residence notifies us that another license was issued. If you move back to Michigan, you will need to reapply for a Michigan license, including providing new proofs of residency. 

  • Michigan law authorizes the Department of State to reexamine a driver when there is reason to believe they may be unable to operate a motor vehicle safely. The department relies on information from law enforcement, medical personnel, Secretary of State branch staff, and concerned citizens, including family members, to identify unsafe drivers. The Department of State provides a form, Request for Driver Evaluation (OC-88), which can be completed and submitted to the Driver Assessment Section to request a review of an individual’s driving skills. This form is also available at your local Secretary of State office. The form will ask you for information about the driver and the incident or pattern of behavior that justifies an evaluation. You are required to include your name, address, telephone number and signature. This information will remain confidential to the extent permitted by law.

    Request for Driver Evaluation

Still have questions?

More FAQs