Skip to main content

Michigan Motorcycle Rider Education Program (MI-REP)

  • It is not necessary to have any motorcycle riding experience but you do need the ability to balance and stabilize a two-wheeled vehicle. If you have not ridden a bicycle in a long time, you should get some practice before attempting to ride a motorized vehicle.

  • If you are under the age of 18 years in Michigan, you must successfully complete the motorcycle safety course to get the endorsement. If you are 18 years or older and have failed the motorcycle rider skills test twice, you must successfully complete a motorcycle safety training course to obtain your endorsement.

  • You must successfully complete a Motorcycle Safety Course offered through the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). You may obtain course information via the MSF Web site Once you finish the course and get the MSF completion card, you may contact the Michigan Department of State, Special Services Branch at 517-636-5872 for information on handling the transaction through the mail or email your approved motorcycle training completion card to for further instructions. Most military commands also require completing the Advanced Rider Course (ARC) within a year of adding your motorcycle endorsement. 

    Reciprocity for Out-of-State Motorcycle Rider Training Courses - for riders applying for their Michigan motorcycle endorsement (CY) that have completed their training course outside the State of Michigan.

  • Out-of-state motorcycle rider safety completion cards may be accepted as proof of completing a motorcycle rider safety course from most other states. Out-of-state motorcycle rider safety completion cards are valid for one year from the date of completion. Refer to the Reciprocity for Out-of-State Motorcycle Rider Training Courses flier for more information.

  • To operate a motorcycle on public roads, you must possess a valid Michigan driver's license with a CY motorcycle endorsement. There are two ways in Michigan to obtain your motorcycle endorsement: 1. Complete a MiREP Basic Rider Course, or 2. Apply for a Temporary Instruction Permit and pass a Skills Test.

  • For the Basic RiderCourse (BRC,) you will need to bring a driver's license or photo identification, a U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) approved helmet, eye protection, long sleeved shirt and long pants, full-fingered gloves, and leather boots that cover your ankles. For the advanced courses (BRC2, RRBRC, ARC) you will need all of the items previously listed, plus your own road-worthy motorcycle and valid proof of insurance. Check with your course sponsor at the time you register for more information. Refer to the Training Locator Page for more information.

  • The Basic RiderCourse (BRC) includes a training motorcycle (under 500cc) that is provided by the course sponsor. The other courses offered (BRC2, RRBRC, ARC) require you to provide your own road-worthy motorcycle properly registered and insured. Check with the course sponsor, at the time you register, for more information. 

  • The Basic RiderCourse (BRC) is for the novice rider and covers the fundamentals of operating a motorcycle. Successful completion will allow riders to obtain a motorcycle endorsement.

    The Returning Rider-Basic RiderCourse (RRBRC) is a one-day waiver class for motorcyclists with some riding experience who want to brush up on their skills or who want to obtain their motorcycle endorsement on their driver's license.

    The Basic RIderCourse 2 (BRC2) is a one day waiver class for motorcyclists with riding experience who want to brush up on their skills and obtain their motorcycle endorsement.

    The Advanced RiderCourse (ARC) is for experienced, endorsed riders looking to improve their skills, including swerving, turning and quick stops. Motorcycling organizations may require this course before participants can register for group rides. The ARC is for riders with a CY endorsement already on their license.

  • The Basic RiderCourse is approximately 15 hours (Harley-Davidson courses are 20 hours because of additional classroom and range riding time) and usually takes place over the course of a weekend. Sponsors may offer other options; you'll need to check directly with the course sponsor. You must pass a written knowledge test and a rider skills test to successfully complete this course.

  • The cost of a public course is subsidized by grant monies. The price mandated by law is $50. Private course registration fees are not regulated by the state and range from $100 - $350. You want to check the fee and refund policy of the sponsor prior to course registration.

    Motorcycle training locator

  • Courses are offered throughout the state. You must contact the course sponsor directly to register for a class. Register as early as possible in the year since classes are very popular and fill up quickly. You may register at any course offered in the state no matter where you live.

    Motorcycle training site locator

  • ORV courses are offered through the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

  • Michigan does not currently offer instruction for riding a scooter. You may contact the motorcycle safety sponsors directly and register for a Basic RiderCourse or take a skills test from an approved rider skills testing organization.

  • A moped has an engine displacement not exceeding 100cc, no manual gearshift, and is capable of no more than 30 mph on a level surface. If it does not meet all three of the listed requirements, it is considered a motorcycle. A scooter may be either a moped or a motorcycle depending on its size. Riding a motorcycle requires a CY endorsement on your Michigan license. A properly registered moped can be ridden on the street by any licensed driver or anyone 15 years old or older with a moped license.  

  • You must contact the training sponsor where you completed the course. Michigan Rider Education Program Certificate of Completion are only valid for one year from the time of class completion. After March 16, 2021, Michigan Rider Education Program Certificate of Completion will be emailed to students with instructions for going online or into the branch office to add the motorcycle endorsement to your license.  

  • This is the starting place for novice riders. You will need to continue practicing the skills you learned to be a safe and confident rider. Training bikes provided in the basic courses are under 500 ccs. To be a responsible rider, it is important to have the skill necessary to handle the size of motorcycle you choose to ride.

  • If you are an experienced rider with good riding and communication skills, you may qualify to become a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) certified RiderCoach. Becoming a MSF RiderCoach is a great way to improve your own abilities while helping others to learn or enhance their riding skills.

    To become a MSF certified RiderCoach you must, at a minimum:

    • Be 18 years of age or older.
    • Have a valid driver's license with a motorcycle (CY) endorsement for a minimum of 1 year.
    • Have no more than six points on your driving record for moving violations during the 12 months before applying for approval as a RiderCoach.
    • Be sponsored by a Michigan Department of State approved public or private sponsor that offers rider safety training courses.
    • Successfully complete a RiderCoach Preparation Course.
    • Review the RiderCoach Recruitment Brochure for additional information.
    • Review the RiderCoach Recruitment Video for additional information. 
    • Apply to a RiderCoach training program

    The following programs offer RiderCoach training:

  • Upon successful completion of a Basic RiderCourse, you will have learned the basic skills of how to become a safe and responsible motorcyclist. You will receive a completion card that you take to the Secretary of State branch office to waive the required skills test (must be submitted within 1 year of date of course completion) and the CY endorsement will be added for a fee to your Michigan driver's license. You may also receive motorcycle insurance discounts by participating in a course.

    The Basic RiderCourse, teaches basic skills and strategies to become a safe and responsible motorcyclist. The training course is one of two ways to obtain the CY motorcycle endorsement on your driver's license. Successful completion may qualify for an insurance discount. 

    Motorcycle training locator