The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Supply Road shooting range rules
- Firearms larger than .80-caliber are prohibited.
- The 10-yard range is for handguns only.
- A registration card must be completed prior to range use.
- Do not enter, use or occupy the area outside of designated range hours or when gates are closed.
- Firearms must be unloaded and cased to enter the range.
- Firearms may be loaded and discharged only at established shooting stations.
- Shooters under the age of 16 MUST be supervised by an adult.
- Cease-fire calls MUST be followed immediately when called. Unload and clear firearm and step away from firing line. Do not begin shooting until downrange is clear.
- Eye and ear protection are required.
- No smoking, open flame or lighted smoking material allowed on or near the firing line.
- Alcoholic beverages, controlled substances and individuals under the influence of same are prohibited.
- Use only paper targets with a bullseye pattern or depiction of legal game only.
- Targets must be attached to backing provided.
- No aerial targets.
- No incendiary or explosive targets.
- No incendiary, explosive, armor-piercing or tracer ammunition.
- Do not target shoot outside of the existing shooting structures.
- Dispose of all trash (targets, brass and spent casings).
- A use permit is required for organized activities. Contact Traverse City State Forest at 231-922-5280 for information.
- To report violations, call or text the Report All Poaching Hotline at 1-800-292-7800.
Basic rules of gun safety and range etiquette:
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction (generally downrange).
- Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
- Always pick up your shells and spent casings and take down your targets when you are through shooting.
- Never fire at posts, supports or other structural components.
- Never eat or drink while shooting.