The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Hunting season calendar
There is an open hunting season at all times on public and private land from Aug. 1 through March 31 every year. Hunters could be encountered in the woods on public lands during these months.
Fur harvester information (includes muskrat, mink, raccoon, fox, bobcat, badger, fisher/marten, beaver, otter and coyote): See the Michigan Fur Harvester Digest.
Bear: See season dates in the Michigan Bear Hunting Digest.
Cottontail rabbit and snowshoe hare: Sept. 15 - March 31, statewide.
Crow: Aug. 1 - Sept. 30 and Feb. 1 - March 31.
Deer (Hunting Digest):
- Liberty Hunt: Sept. 9-10, 2023
- Youth and hunters with disabilities hunt
- Early antlerless firearm: Sept. 16-17, 2023
- Independence Hunt: Oct. 19-22, 2023
- Hunters with disabilities hunt
- Archery: Oct. 1 - Nov. 14 and Dec. 1 - Jan. 1, 2023
- Regular firearm: Nov. 15-30
- Zone 1: Dec. 2-11, 2022
- Zone 2: Dec. 2-11, 2022
- Zone 3: Dec. 2-11, 2022
- Late antlerless firearm:
- Dec. 12, 2022 - Jan. 1, 2023
Elk: See season dates in the Michigan Elk Hunting Digest.
Pheasant (male only):
- Zone 1 (See Hunting Digest for open areas)
- Oct. 10 - Oct. 31
- Zones 2 and 3
- Oct. 20 - Nov. 14
- Zone 3 (see Hunting Digest for open areas)
- Dec. 1 - Jan. 1
Quail: Oct. 20 - Nov. 14
Ruffed grouse: Sept. 15 - Nov. 14 and Dec. 1 - Jan. 1
Sharp-tailed grouse: Zone 1: Oct. 10-31 (see Hunting Digest for open areas)
Squirrel - fox and gray (black phase included): Sept. 15 - March 31
Waterfowl: See season dates section in the Waterfowl Hunting Digest.
- Fall season: Sept. 15 through Nov. 14, 2022 (see Fall Turkey Digest for applicable units)
Woodcock: Sept. 15 - Oct. 29
Opossum, porcupine, weasel, red squirrel, skunk, ground squirrel, woodchuck, Russian boar, feral pigeon, starling and house sparrow may be taken year-round with a valid Michigan hunting license.