The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Learn to fish
Learn to fish
Now is a great time to get started fishing!
It’s so easy to get started with fishing in Michigan. Here’s a checklist of what you need:
- Choose your company. Do a solo outing, grab some friends for some fishing fun or make it a family trip.
- Buy your fishing license. If you’re a Michigan resident, you can get an annual license for just $26.
- Pick up some gear. It doesn’t have to be expensive. Some basic rods and reels, hooks, sinkers, bobbers and baits are all you need.
- Decide where you want to go. Fish your local lake, book a charter on one of the Great Lakes or plan a trip to a special stream.
- Think about what species you want to fish for. Do some bobber fishing for panfish, throw lures at bass, target walleye or fall in love with something else.
Classes and clinics
This FREE program teaches kids how to fish!
We'll teach casting and fishing basics, and can provide you with a fishing pole to use if you don't have your own.
The Outdoor Skills Academy classes and clinics provide a more in-depth skill development opportunity for teens and adults.
The classes are offered for a fee and require registration free.