Skip to main content

Recreation Passport

Recreation Passport

Recreation Passport


recreation passport park here logo

The Recreation Passport is your key to accessing state parks and recreation areas, boating access sites, state forest campgrounds, thousands of miles of trails and other outdoor spaces – all year long!

The state's parks and recreation system is largely self-supporting. Funds derived from the Recreation Passport go right back into maintaining and improving the outdoor spaces we all love, and protecting natural resources for the next generation.

Check “YES“ for the Recreation Passport when you renew your license plate through the Secretary of State.

As of March 1, 2023, the Recreation Passport increased by a dollar due to a statutory provision to adjust the fee based upon the Consumer Price Index. This fee structure ensures that rates are keeping pace with the economy. This is the first increase in three years. Read more.
  • Vehicles $13 when purchased at time of license plate registration renewal through the Secretary of State. A two-year option is available for $26. 
  • Motorcycles $7 when purchased at time of your license plate registration renewal through the Secretary of State.
  • Moped $7 when purchased at state parks and most DNR customer service centers.
  • Commercial daily pass $18 when purchased at state parks (24k+ lbs and/or seating capacity of 16+).
  • The purchase of a separate Recreation Passport is required for unhitched towed vehicles.
*There's a $5 convenience fee (except for Belle Isle Park) when the Recreation Passport is not purchased at the time of your license plate registration renewal through the Secretary of State, and is instead purchased at a state park, recreation area or DNR customer service center. The cost is $18 for vehicles (passport fee + $5 convenience fee) and $12 for motorcycles (passport fee + $5 convenience fee). There is no convenience fee when purchasing a passport for a moped.

Other need-to-know info:

  • A resident Recreation Passport cannot be purchased online.
  • The passport is valid for one year and/or until your license plate registration expires.
  • When purchased at the time of license plate registration renewal, your license plate tab will have the letter "P." When purchased at a different time, you'll receive a sticker that must be permanently affixed to the lower passenger-side windshield. 
  • State parks accept debit/credit, cash and check.
  • DNR customer service centers, with the exception of Baraga, Bay City and Marquette, sell Recreation Passports via cash or check (no credit/debit).
  • Self-registration envelopes and fee pipes are available at many state parks, boating access sites and state forest campgrounds.


  • Annual: $39
  • Daily: $11 - good for entry and re-entry to any state park for the day.
  • Towed motor vehicle: $8 - required if unhitched vehicle is being driven at state parks (valid for length of stay). A nonresident annual pass is required for towing vehicle.
  • Commercial daily pass: $20 - (24k+ lbs and/or seating capacity of 16+).
  • A $5 convenience fee is not applied to nonresident passes.

Annual nonresident passports expire Dec. 31 of the year it was purchased. The annual passport sticker must be permanently affixed to your lower passenger-side windshield.

As part of a statutory provision that ensures Recreation Passport funding keeps pace with the economy, the Recreation Passport fee increased slightly in 2023. Fee adjustments are based on the Consumer Price Index, as determined by the federal Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Where to purchase

  • (annual only with a 2-3 week processing time).
  • Michigan state parks and recreation areas (annual, daily, towed vehicle and commercial).
  • Most DNR customer service centers, (annual only) except Baraga, Bay City, and Marquette. Cash and checks only. No credit or debit cards.
  • Self-registration envelopes and fee pipes at many state parks, boating access sites and state forest campgrounds (annual, daily and towed vehicle).
  • Kiosks at Duck Lake State Park and Belle Isle Park (annual and daily).

Daily non-Michigan-registered Recreation Passports available for Warren Dunes State Park

The purchase of a Recreation Passport is not required for the following:

  • Entry on foot or bicycle into state parks, trails, historic sites, boat launches and other state-managed destinations.
  • School and public transit authority buses.
  • Snowmobiles (Vehicles trailering or carrying snowmobiles still need a passport to enter or park).
  • Michigan registered vehicles with a valid resident:
    • Ex-prisoner of war plate.
    • Disabled veteran plate.
    • Medal of honor plate.
    • Congressional Medal of Honor plate.

How to use your passport

You must display your Recreation Passport on your motor vehicle, motorcycle or commercial motor vehicle when entering or parking in any Michigan state park or recreation area, state forest campground, designated boating access site or parking lot, state-designated trailhead, recreation staging area or access site related to trails/pathways.

How the funds are used

  • State parks and recreation areas, state forest campgrounds, trails and boat launches.
  • Historic sites within state parks.
  • Outdoor recreation facilities and opportunities.
  • Local park improvements via Recreation Passport Grants.

Recreation Passport Grants

The purchase of a Recreation Passport not only gains you vehicle access many outdoor spaces, but 10% of the funds go toward the local grants program and back into local communities. Last year, nearly $2 million was awarded to local communities for local park development and improvement projects, such as playgrounds, sports and fitness facilities, walkways, trails and more. Learn more about the Recreation Passport Grants.

Questions? Please contact us or call 517-284-7275.