Filing an Allegation

Your complaint must be in writing and signed. Describe the factual basis for the allegation. Please do not include any information such as your social security number, that you do not want to be released to the respondent. Do not send bulky material. If we need additional information, we will request it.

If the complaint is against a residential builder or residential maintenance & alteration contractor, it must be received by the Department no later than 18 months after completion, occupancy or purchase, whichever occurs later in the case of a residential maintenance and alteration contract. With regards to projects requiring an occupancy permit, the 18-month period ends with the latest of either the issuance of a temporary certificate of occupancy, a certificate of occupancy, or closing. A complaint may be filed against any other licensed party at any time. Please mail your complaint to the following address:

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Professional Licensing
Investigations & Inspections Division/Complaint Intake Section
P O Box 30670
Lansing MI 48909

The Statement of Complaint and related forms may be obtained from this site, or you may request a form and information by telephone at 517-373-8068.