Skip to main content

File a Complaint

File a Complaint

  • The Bureau of Community and Health Systems receive and process complaints for:
    • Adult foster care and home for the aged.
    • Children's and adult foster care camps.

How to Make a Complaint

When making a complaint, it is important that you fill out the complaint form as completely as possible. Your name will be kept confidential and will not be released unless ordered by the court. You are not required to give your name or contact information. However, if you do not provide it, a licensing consultant will not be able to contact you if additional information is needed. Your complaint may not be assigned or may be unconfirmed due to an inability to reach you for follow-up.

To make a complaint, fill out the Online Complaint Form. If you cannot complete the online complaint form, you can either:

Mail it to:

Bureau of Community and Health Systems
Adult Foster Care and Camps Licensing - Complaint Intake Unit
611 W. Ottawa, 1st Floor
PO Box 30664
Lansing, MI 48909

  • Fax it to: 517-284-9739
  • Call 866-856-0126

Appropriate Complaints

A complaint must allege violations of the facility's governing act and rules. To review a facility's governing act or rules prior to making a complaint, go to:

Note: It is a crime to make a false complaint against a children's camp punishable by up to a $5,000 fine or imprisonment for up to four years or both. See the Child Care Organizations Act MCL 722.115l.

Abuse and Neglect Complaints

Call 855-444-3911 if you are making a complaint regarding abuse, neglect or exploitation of an adult.

Learn more about abuse and neglect.

Unlicensed Complaints

If you are making a complaint regarding a camp operating without a registration/license, you must indicate how you know they are operating without a registration/license.