The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Michigan's Cannabis Regulatory Agency Recognizes 21 Qualifiers in New Social Equity All-Star Program
August 01, 2022
August 1, 2022 – The Cannabis Regulatory Agency (CRA) announced this week the first approved gold qualifier through the Social Equity All-Star Program, a new initiative to encourage cannabis industry licensees to be proactive in their diversity, equity, and inclusion campaigns. In addition to the first gold qualifier, the agency also announced the first 20 bronze qualifiers in the new program.
CRA Executive Director Andrew Brisbo recognized Pharmhouse Wellness owner Casey Kornoelje at his Grand Rapids retail store on Wednesday, July 27, 2022 as the first CRA licensee to meet the gold-level criteria of the Social Equity All-Star Program.
“Pharmhouse Wellness has done a tremendous job with their diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts, as well as their strong community reinvestment,” said Brisbo. “Our 20 new bronze qualifiers also have shown a commitment to invest time and money in initiatives to help those who were disproportionately impacted by marijuana prohibition. This new recognition program acknowledges the important work our licensees are doing in the social equity space, and I’m excited to see it continue to grow.”
CRA adult-use licensees are eligible for recognition in the Social Equity All-Star Program by meeting the qualifying criteria of the program, including the development, publishing, and implementation of social equity plans, corporate spend plans, and community reinvestment plans. Participation is incentivized through state-issued bronze, silver, and gold social equity seals. The seals will be used as identifiers in a tiered recognition system to recognize licensees’ social equity involvement.
In order to qualify for the bronze level of the Social Equity All-Star Program, licensees must publish their social equity plan on the CRA website and attest to its implementation. Licensees’ social equity plans should complement their business strategic goals and objectives and make an impact in disproportionately impacted communities through employment, educational or mentorship programs, monetary assistance, or training.
Qualifiers for the silver level of the Social Equity All-Star Program must meet the bronze level requirements, publish their corporate spend plan on the CRA website, and attest to its implementation. Licensees’ corporate spend plans should include a dedicated percentage of the business’ annual spending to diverse suppliers.
Licensees who wish to qualify for the gold level of the Social Equity All-Star Program must meet the silver level requirements, publish their community reinvestment plan on the CRA website, and attest to its implementation. Licensees’ community reinvestment plans should detail the licensee’s volunteer time or the donation percentages of their revenue to organizations, non-profits, and charities which positively impact any of the groups in these categories:
- Geographic communities that the CRA has identified as disproportionately impacted.
- Racial/ethnic minorities, women, veterans, Native American tribes, LGBTQ, people with disabilities, and returning citizens.
The current 20 bronze qualifiers for the Social Equity All-Star Program:
- Bella Sol Wellness Centers of Michigan, LLC - AU-ER-000145
- The Botanical Co - AU-ER-00271
- The Botanical Co - Kalkaska - AU-ER-001298
- The Botanical Co - Lansing - AU-ER- 000623
- Custom Built Properties, LLC - AU-ER-000165
- Frankfort Green, LLC - AU-ER-001329
- Franklin Fields - AU-ER-000661
- Ganja Girl, LLC- AU-ER-002199
- Great Lake Leaf, LLC - AU-ER-001533
- Greenshift - AU-ER-002123
- Harbor Farmz North, LLC - AU-ER-000282
- JSJ Growing, LLC - AU-ER-001420
- Kalkushka, LLC - AU-ER-002213
- North Coast Cultivators, LLC - AU-ER-001055
- Pleasantrees Cannabis Company - AU-ER-000302
- Real Leaf Solutions - AU-ER-000150
- Sun Provisions - AU-ER-000341
- T Rex 1 Corp. - AU-ER-000391
- Una Labs - AU-ER-002030
- Wheelhouse Growers, LLC - AU-ER-000673
Adult-use licensees who would like to be recognized for their social equity efforts – or who would like to read additional information regarding the Social Equity All-Star Program – should click here.