Skip to main content

Export Documentation

The International Marketing Program is available to help Michigan food & agricultural companies understand the documentation needed for international shipments.

Phytosanitary Certificate

Importing countries may require a phytosanitary certificate for any plants or plant products, as well as related regulated goods (such as those processed with plants), to ensure that these goods meet specified requirements and will not introduce regulated pests. Learn how to acquire a Phytosanitary Certificate.

Certificate of Free Sale/Health/Sanitary

Certificates of Free Sale are required for various food products and are used to demonstrate that the product is eligible for export. Learn the requirements and steps for obtaining a Certificate of Free Sale.

Certificate of Origin

A Certificate of Origin (COO) identifies who has produced the goods and in what country. The exporter should verify whether a COO is required with the buyer or a freight forwarder. Learn how to obtain a Certificate of Origin.

Certificate of Apostille

An Apostille or Certificate of Authority certifies that documents intended for use in foreign countries are legally authenticated. Learn how to obtain a Certificate of Apostille.

Additional Common Export Documents

Learn about additional export documents, including a bill of lading, shipper's letter of instruction, commercial invoice, export packing list, and pro forma invoice.  

Don't see the document or certificate you're looking for? Contact the International Marketing Program at