Operators under age 16 riding on public or private land in Michigan must
- Take an approved ORV education course,
- Carry an ORV safety certificate and
- Have direct visual supervision by an adult at all times.
The ORV safety certificate is proof that the individual has successfully completed all of the components of an approved ORV safety course. All other license and permits are required
Get your ORV safety certificate online:
- Take an online ORV safety class at offroad-ed.com/michigan
- Take and pass the final exam.
- Print out your permanent ORV safety certificate once you have successfully completed the course, passed the exam and paid the course fee (pay only when you pass).
Get your ORV safety certificate in a classroom-based course:
Visit the DNR's Recreational Safety Education Class Database and select the class type (ORV) and county in the drop-down lists.
Department of Natural Resources