Skip to main content

Fuelwood FAQs

You can search the information on this page by typing keywords into the search box below. You will get more accurate results by using ONLY KEYWORDS such as "permit" or "collection log" instead of longer phrases or sentences. You can also download the FAQs as a PDF document.

Clear search results

  • Yes. Also, permits are only valid on state forest land within the permitted area.

  • No. Cutting should start when permit is purchased. No extensions or refunds will be given.

  • Yes, However, YOU (the permittee) must be on site when cutting and in the vehicle when transporting the wood.

  • No. Permits are restricted to one 90-day permit per household per year. However, you still have the option to visit the U.S. Forest Service and obtain a permit to collect fuelwood on federal forest land.

  • Maybe. Wood may not be removed from timber sale areas until that timber sale area is included on a permit map. The General Fuelwood Permit maps are updated each year before the start of the permit season (April 1). If you are interested in a particular area that is not included on the General map, contact the local DNR office to inquire about a Specific Fuelwood Permit.

  • No. You must remain on established roads. No off-road use of vehicles is permitted; this includes ATVs, ORVs, etc.

  • Yes, you may use a wheelbarrow or handcart off-road.

  • No. Remove only dead and down material from areas shown on the map provided. No standing trees, alive or dead, may be cut under a general area permit.

  • No. Firewood removed under this permit is for personal use only and is not to be sold or traded.

  • The Collection Log must be filled out prior to transporting fuelwood collected under the permit. If you are contacted by a conservation officer and the log is not completed, you may be considered in violation of the terms of the permit and may receive a citation.