The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Marquette State Fish Hatchery
Open at no charge to public. Weekdays, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. Weekends, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. To schedule group tours, please call 906-249-1611, ext. 324
This state fish hatchery was established in 1920 and is the primary broodstock and rearing facility for brook and lake trout for both inland and Great Lakes waters.
Marquette also rears splake - a hybrid cross between lake trout and brook trout.
Areas of interest to the public:
- Indoor and outdoor interpretative areas
- Broodstock facility with adult brook trout and lake trout on-site
- Egg-take activities every October and November (public is welcome to watch!)
- House natural albino fish
- Uses water from Cherry Creek
- Very close to Northern Michigan University and beautiful downtown Marquette
- Features Marquette Fisheries Research Station upstairs
See the fish stocking database for detailed information of fish stocked. Below are 2019 stocking numbers.
|Brook Trout||Spring Fingerlings||0|
|Lake Trout-Lake Superior Strain||Yearling||58,861|
|Lake Trout-Senica Strain||Yearling||60,006|