The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Platte River State Fish Hatchery & Weir
Open at no charge to the public. Grounds are open every day from dawn to dusk and hatchery buildings from 8 am to 4 pm. To schedule group tours, please call 231-325-4611.
Areas of interest to the public:
- Produces Atlantic salmon, Chinook salmon, coho salmon and walleye
- The state's only coho salmon production facility
- Location on Platte River
- Interpretative facilities and trails
- Lower weir harvest facility
- Upper weir egg-take station
- Adult salmon returning to spawn from mid-September to late-October (public is welcome to watch!)
- Birthplace of the Great Lakes salmon program
- Trailhead for state trails
- Stop on bird tour
- Proximity to Traverse City
See the fish stocking database for detailed information of fish stocked.