The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
ORV safety certificate
Operators under age 16 riding on public or private land in Michigan must:
- Take an approved ORV education course,
- Carry an ORV safety certificate, and
- Have direct visual supervision by an adult at all times.
The ORV safety certificate is proof that you have successfully completed all of the components of an approved ORV safety course. All other license and permits are required.
There are a couple ways to get your ORV safety certificate:
- Take an online ORV safety class a offroad-ed.com/michigan.
- Take and pass the final exam.
- Print out your permanent ORV safety certificate once you have successfully completed the course, passed the exam and paid the course fee (pay only when you pass).
Find a classroom-based ORV safety education course. You can enter your zip code to search for classes near you.