Mobile Homes

  • Contact Mobile Homes
    Fax: 517-241-0130
    As otherwise indicated below.

    The Mobile Homes program is responsible for initial and renewal licensure for mobile home parks and dealers and determining eligibility of park licensing through the annual inspection process. The program is also responsible for park and dealer complaints, affidavit of affixtures and detachments, and park construction and permitting.

Licensee Information

Filing a Complaint

  • The Bureau of Construction Codes (BCC) does not have legal authority over contractual, monetary, or warranty issues nor does the bureau have authority to conduct criminal prosecution.

    The Mobile Home program reviews and investigates complaints against mobile home parks and dealers. Examples of such complaints may be negligence resulting in physical harm to a consumer, performing work without a permit or proper licensure, and fraud or deceit in the performance of work. See HUD – Administered Manufactured Home Installation Program below for complaint information regarding installers and manufacturers.

    NOTE: Filing a complaint with BCC is not the only option. Complainants may opt for an informal resolution between them and the contractor, formally through the courts, or by other agencies. If a complaint has been filed with BCC and resolution is sought through the legal system, please advise our office immediately.

    Note: The Bureau does not title mobile homes. For information regarding Certificates of Mobile Home Ownership (titles), contact your local branch of the Office of the Secretary of State or call 1-888-767-6424.

    Complaints must be made in writing by one of the following methods:

  • Complaints should contain the following information:

    • Name, address, and phone number of company/person filing complaint (Complainant) - unless wishing to file anonymously
    • Job location
    • Township, city, village and county of job location
    • Name and address of company/person the complaint is against (Respondent)
    • Name of the individual(s) you dealt with at the company
    • License number of company/person, if known
    • What you hired the person/company to do
    • What was wrong with the work that was performed?
    • If equipment was installed, was a permit obtained and/or inspections performed? If so, provide the permit number.
    • Copies of any correspondence you sent or hand delivered to the respondent.
    • Copies of any written response received from the respondent. If you received a verbal response only, indicate who you spoke with, what you were told, and the date.
    • Copies of any substantiating documentation which support your complaint which may include, but are not limited to:
      • Purchase agreement/Contracts/Price quotations/Estimates/Invoices
      • Notes you may have taken
      • Permit and inspection records from the local unit of government
      • Advertisements
      • Proof of payment for work performed (canceled check, receipt, closing statement)
      • Clear photographs showing the alleged violation and the date the photos were taken
      • Court documents, if applicable

    NOTE: Do not include any information you do not want released to the respondent (i.e., social security numbers, other personal information). Do not send bulky material. Originals will not be returned. Additional information will be requested if needed. Keep copies of all documents sent to the bureau.

    Most complaints will be handled in the order they were received. Priority will be given to complaints where the situation appears to be life threatening or circumstances exist which might be hazardous to the public. Final determinations are based on facts, so we are unable to provide a timeframe for the length of the investigation. In general, the process is as follows:

    • A complaint is received, logged, and assigned a file number.
    • An acknowledgement letter is sent to the Complainant upon receipt.
    • Based on the information provided, the complaint is reviewed to determine jurisdiction and if a violation of the statutes or rules has occurred, if an investigation will be initiated, or if additional information is required.
    • If a local code enforcing agency has jurisdiction, the complaint may be referred to that agency for review and action.
    • The Respondent will be notified of the allegations and a written response will be requested.
    • If the investigation determines the law or rules may have been violated, an informal compliance conference is scheduled with the Respondent to discuss the allegations.
    • If an agreement is not reached at the informal compliance conference, the matter is forwarded to the Office of the Attorney General for review and possible formal administrative hearing.
    • At the conclusion of the investigation, the Complainant will be notified of the findings and determinations made regarding their complaint.
    • Questions can be directed to the Compliance Division at 517-241-9309 or by email at

Plan Approval and Permit to Construct

  • Proposal for the construction of a new mobile home park, expansion of an existing park, or alteration to an existing park is required to obtain plan approval and a permit to construct from the Bureau's construction code plan review program.

    Prior to applying for plan approval, the developer shall obtain preliminary approvals from the local health department, county road commission, county drain commissioner, and municipality as well as obtain a construction plan approval for water and sewer.

    How to Submit

    Reviews can also be submitted by mail or in-person at our Lansing Office. Submittals to the plan review program must include a completed application, fee and two (2) sets of construction documents sealed and signed in accordance with 1980 PA 299. Additionally, reviews must include:

    • Existing and proposed easements
    • Soil analysis report
    • Evidence of title to the property
    • All required preliminary plan approvals

    Application for Mobile Home Park Plan Examination and Permit to Construct

    Mobile Home Park Construction Affidavit

    The Bureau's construction code plan review program will review the documents for compliance with applicable rules, and once approved, issue a plan approval and permit to construct. The plan approval and permit to construct is valid for 5 years after the date of issuance and may be extended upon application. An extension may be issued for a maximum of 10 years beyond the initial date of approval. The same approval process is applicable to mobile home condominium and conversion of existing park to home condominium. The Manufactured Housing Commission may extend the plan approval and permit to construct and grant a variance to the park design and construction rules upon request.

    Questions should be directed to the Bureau's construction code plan review program at 517-241-9317 or by email at

Affidavits of Affixture & Detachment

HUD - Administered Manufactured Home Installation Program