Home Health Agencies

  • This page is designed to assist providers through the federal certification process, as well as provide additional resources to maintain compliance.

State Licensing

  • State licensing is not required for home health agencies. Individual health professionals should check on licensure requirements with the Bureau of Professional Licensing.

Federal Certification (Participating in Medicare/Medicaid)

  • Home health agencies that provide skilled nursing services may apply for certification to participate in the Medicare/Medicaid programs. The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) contracts with LARA to evaluate compliance with the federal regulations by conducting certification surveys and complaint investigations.

    For initial certification or change of ownership:

    • Complete Provider Enrollment Application (CMS-855A) and submit to Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC)/Federal Fiscal Intermediary (FI).
    • Complete and submit to BCHS:

      • An e-mail confirming a successful electronic submission of your Civil Rights Clearance for Medicare Provider Certification from the Office for Civil Rights (OCR)
      • Two (2) signed originals Health Insurance Benefit Agreement (CMS-1561)
      • One (1) signed original HHA Survey and Deficiencies Report (CMS-1572A - Only complete numbers 1-10 and 12-20.)
      • OASIS Transmittal Application (BCHS-HFD-150)
      • Contact Accrediting Organization (AO) to schedule survey (initial only)

    For address/location changes:

    • Complete Provider Enrollment Application (CMS-855A) and submit to MAC/FI within 90 days of the move

    * Note-address/location changes should remain within the approved geographic area

    For branch site application (one application packet per site):

    • Complete Provider Enrollment Application (CMS-855A) and submit to MAC/FI.
    • Complete Branch Application (BCHS-SHCS-803) and submit to BCHS.
      Note: Branch site applications must be completed for all proposed sites, including relocations of previously approved sites and newly requested sites.

    For a change in administrator, please email the following:

    • Facility name, address, and provider #
    • New administrator full name
    • Effective start date of administrator

    For submitting correspondence or application documents, please email BCHS_FedDivision@michigan.gov.


    Federal Reciprocal Agreements - For a federally certified provider in Michigan to provide services in another state, the provider must be federally certified in the other state or the provider must be recognized under a CMS-approved Reciprocal Agreement between the State of Michigan and the other applicable state.  Michigan has no reciprocal agreement with Indiana or Ohio for home health agency services.  In short, federally certified home health providers in Michigan cannot offer services within these states unless certified as a provider within these states.  Michigan does have an agreement with Wisconsin.  This agreement recognizes only the following certified Michigan providers: 23-7292 and 23-7093.

Contact Information

  • Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
    Bureau of Community & Health Systems - Federal Certification
    611 W. Ottawa Street
    PO Box 30664
    Lansing, MI 48909

    Phone: 517-284-8953
    FAX: 517-241-3354