Skip to main content

File a Complaint with BSC


The Bureau of Survey and Certification (BSC) accepts and processes complaints against various state licensed and federally certified health facilities, agencies, and programs.

To file a complaint against a state licensed or federally certified health facility, including nursing homes, hospitals, home health agencies, hospices, surgery centers, dialysis centers, and other providers, see information below.

Methods for Filing a Complaint

  1. Submit a complaint using the online form.
  2. Call the toll-free Complaint Hotline at 800-882-6006.

The Complaint Process

The goal of the complaint and investigation process is to protect the health, safety and welfare of residents, patients, and clients receiving care and services from state licensed and federally certified providers.  BSC will only investigate allegations where a provider may be violating federal certification requirements.  State licensing complaints will be referred to the Bureau of Community and Health Systems (BCHS) for investigation.  If an allegation is substantiated, the goal is to bring that provider back into compliance when possible.  

If a provider is both state licensed and federally certified, BSC will first investigate any allegation under its federal authority unless the allegation is specific solely to a state regulation requirement.  As for off-site locations that might be affiliated with a federally certified provider, BSC can only investigate an off-site location that has been formally approved by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) as a provider-based location of the certified provider.  CMS approved provider-based locations may include other hospitals, surgery centers, or hospices operating under a federally certified provider’s CMS Certification Number (CCN).  All other off-site locations, such as group practices or physician offices, would not be under the authority of BSC to investigate.

If you provide your contact information, you will receive a confirmation via mail or e-mail that your complaint has been received.  If your allegation(s) warrant an investigation, your complaint will be assigned to a state surveyor who may attempt to contact you by phone if more information is needed.  An unannounced on-site visit at the facility will likely be conducted and a follow up notice will be sent outlining our investigation findings.  Please note the actual investigation and final findings can take several weeks, if not longer, to complete and process.


Department of Licensing & Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Survey and Certification-Complaint Intake Section
PO Box 30838
Lansing, MI 48909

Phone: 800-882-6006 

Michigan Long Term Care Ombudsman Program (advocates for residents in nursing homes, adult foster care homes, and homes for the aged) – Call 866-485-9393 or email