Skip to main content

Mark Cancellation

The registrant, or the assignee of record, may voluntarily cancel a mark registration by submitting in writing to the Corporations Division a request for cancellation. There is no fee for the mark cancellation request.

A registered mark is also cancelled when the mark is more than 10 years old and not renewed.

A court of competent jurisdiction may order a registration cancelled if the court finds:

    • That the registered mark has been abandoned
    • That the registrant is not the owner of the mark
    • That the registration was granted improperly
    • That the registration was obtained fraudulently

The court may also order a registration canceled on any ground.