Skip to main content

FAQS and Forms

Frequently Asked Questions Related to Benefit Services Hearings

Q (DHHS). If am late for my hearing, will a judge still hear my case?

A. If you anticipate being late for your hearing, there is a 30 minute grace period at the start of the hearing. You have only 30 minutes into the start of your hearing to either arrive, reschedule, or cancel your hearing in writing. If you do not arrive to your scheduled hearing, your case will be dismissed.

Q. I am currently enrolled in a Medicaid Managed Care Health Plan, a CMHSP/PIHP, or a MI Choice Waiver program and I want to request a hearing about my Medicaid benefit services.

A. If you are currently enrolled in a Medicaid assistance program and you want to appeal a decision that was made by MDHHS to deny or reduce or suspend a Medicaid-covered service (such as Home Help Services), or a disenrollment request, or if you received a denial for your MI Choice Waiver, Children's Waiver, Habilitation Supports Waiver, or Serious Emotional Disturbance waiver application, you will need to fill out the form whose link is found in the last sentence of this paragraph.  This Medicaid request for hearing form is different than the general public assistance (food, cash, and energy assistance) form or the Medicaid managed care organization forms which are found in the next paragraphs. Please attach a copy of the DHHS notice of case action you received with your request for hearing form. If you are a guardian you must attach the guardianship papers from the court. Please submit the request for hearing to the Michigan Office of Administrative Hearings and Rules (MOAHR) as indicated on the request for hearing form. The form has additional information and instructions.  To download the Medicaid enrollee and Waiver Application request for hearing form please click on this form:

Hearing Request for Medicaid Managed Care Health Plan CMH MI Choice 

Q. I want to request a hearing related to my Michigan Rehabilitation Services or Adoption Subsidy Services; what should I do?

If you want to request a hearing related to your Michigan Rehabilitation Services (MRS) or Adoption Subsidy Services (AS) , submit your request to your MRS worker or your AS worker or local office.

For additional information regarding public assistance, refer to the Department of Health and Human Services website.

For additional information regarding hearings for DHHS, Medicaid, MRS, or AS, please call the MOAHR Benefit Services Division (BSD) main office at 517-335-7519. If you are a public assistance recipient there is a toll free number available at 800-648-3397. The MOAHR BSD fax number is 517-763-0155.  TTY users call 1-866-501-5656.

Q. How do I reschedule or cancel my hearing?

A. If you need to reschedule or cancel your hearing, the request must be made in writing. The request can be sent by either mail or fax. A request should be written on blank or lined paper. The request should include your docket number, your name, your request, and the reason for the request. Your written request must include your signature. Please note that a request to reschedule or cancel must be made within 30 minutes after the start of the scheduled hearing.

Mailing Address:

P.O Box 30639
Lansing, MI 48909
Fax: 517-763-0155

Q. I missed my hearing, now what can I do?

A. A request for a new hearing must be made in writing. The written request must state the reason for missing the hearing, as well as the docket number, your name, and signature. Judges choose whether or not they will hold a hearing for a person who has missed their prior hearing, but it is up to the judge to decide. Requesting a new hearing does not guarantee your request will be granted.

Q. I received a notice for a hearing I did not request, why do I have a hearing?

A. Hearings are requested by the agency that holds the case (e.g. hearings scheduled in regard to food stamps are requested by the Department of Human Health Services). You must contact the agency who sent you the notice of hearing to follow up about any questions or concerns you may have. You must be sure to contact the agency in the appropriate county (e.g. Wayne, Oakland, etc). MOAHR schedules the requested hearings, we do not request the hearings.

Q. I want to request a Certified Record, what should I do?

A. If you request that the Michigan Office of Administrative Hearings and Rules (MOAHR) forward the circuit court a certified record from the administrative hearing, MOAHR will certify and forward the hearing record upon receipt of a written request which includes the name of the case, the MOAHR docket number, and the circuit court mailing address (and the circuit court docket number if known). If the reason for the request is for an appeal to the circuit court and you are a party to the administrative hearing there is no charge for the certified record. MOAHR will forward a certified record to the Circuit Court within 21 days of receipt of your written request with copies of the certified record to both parties.

Please note that the Certified Record does not include the transcript from an administrative proceeding. The Michigan Court Rules places on the appellant the responsibility for obtaining and filing the transcript to the hearing recording. MCR 7.109(G). MOAHR does not produce or pay for transcripts. Transcripts must be ordered separately through a state-contracted transcript vendor. See the transcript FAQ immediately following.

Q. I want to request a Transcript or Hearing Recording, what should I do?

A. A MOAHR Certified Record will not include a transcript of the hearing recording. The Michigan Court Rules specify that the appellant is responsible for obtaining and filing the transcript of the hearing recording. MCR 7.109(B).  MOAHR does not produce or pay for transcripts.  All questions regarding the processing, pricing, and certification of the transcript should be directed to the certified transcription/court reporting firm that you choose to use.

For a digital copy of an administrative hearing recording, please visit the LARA Website, go to Key Services, and click on "Submit a FOIA Request."  A LARA transcript fact sheet is also attached above.  Please note that a digital recording is not considered an official transcript.

Q. How do I request a subpoena for a person or for documents to appear at my hearing?

A. There are two types of subpoena used in a BSD administrative hearing: a subpoena to request a person who will provide witness or expert testimony, or a subpoena to request a person to bring documents to the hearing.

The Department of Health and Human Services is required to make available any documents it used in the determination you are appealing as well as the person who made the department determination (or the supervisor or replacement.)

You may request a subpoena if you have attempted to obtain the person's presence or the documents and after reasonable attempts were not able to obtain the person or documents prior to hearing.

Below you will find a subpoena cover letter which should be filled out and delivered to the Michigan administrative hearing system. You will find a separate subpoena for requesting a person or requesting documents.

Subpoena Request Form

Q. I need accommodation for my disabilities, what should I do?

A. MOAHR strives to accommodate persons with disabilities and meet all federal and state disability laws. Please fill out the disability accommodation form and describe the accommodation you are requesting in order to effectively communicate during your hearing. Please submit the completed form to MOAHR as soon as possible so that there is sufficient time to arrange your accommodation request before the hearing. Please provide a telephone number where MOAHR can reach you (including TTY information) in case MOAHR has questions.

Disability Accomodation Form