Skip to main content

Food Establishment Licensing Guide: Determine which agency to contact

Link to Dairy-related Businesses 

Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development

Contact the Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development if you primarily sell, store, or manufacture food. Examples of such establishments include:

  • Retail grocery store, convenience store, party store
  • Bakery, fish market, butcher shop, candy store, produce market
  • Food warehouse, distribution center, transfer station, public cold storage facility
  • Dairy processing / manufacturing
    • bottled milk
    • cheese
    • butter
    • yogurt
  • Large or small food processing plant including:
    • Ice, water, juice or soft drink plant
    • Winery, brewery, or distillery
    • Egg grading & packing plant
    • Fruit & vegetable repacking operation, or brining station
    • Flour mill or cereal plant
    • Cider mill, maple syrup or honey house
    • Food salvage or reclamation center
  • State or county fair concession

Local Health Department

Contact your Local Health Department if you primarily serve food that can be immediately consumed, or operate a:

  • Restaurant, cafeteria, grill, cafe, delicatessen
  • Bar, brewpub, tavern, or nightclub
  • Rental hall, theater, commissary, catering kitchen
  • Donut shop, lunch counter, sandwich shop, soda fountain, coffee shop
  • Catering truck
  • Temporary food service stand at a festival, event, or flea market
  • Vending machine
  • Special transitory food unit