Two days twice a year, families and friends can enjoy one of Michigan's premiere outdoor activities, Michigan Fishing, for FREE!
The 2020 Free Fishing Weekends are scheduled for winter: February 15 & 16 and summer: June 13 & 14.
All fishing license fees will be waived for two days. A Recreation Passport will NOT be required for entry into state parks and recreation areas during Free Fishing Weekend. Residents and out-of-state visitors may enjoy fishing on both inland and Great Lakes' waters for all species of fish. All fishing regulations will still apply.
Many locations around the state hold fun events during the weekend. Check back each year for events happening locally!
Want to know when future Free Fishing Weekends will be? The Winter weekend is always the Saturday and Sunday of President's Day Weekend and the Summer weekend is always the Saturday and Sunday following the first full week of June.
- Free Fishing Weekend - Official Event Registration
Registration is OPEN for 2020 Winter Free Fishing Weekend events. Registrations are accepted for public events only.
- Free Fishing Weekend Event Media/Promotion e-Toolkit
Already have a Free Fishing Weekend event planned? Feel free to use these materials as you promote your event.
- Free Fishing Weekend Event Planning e-Toolkit
Thinking about coordinating a Free Fishing Weekend event? Feel free to use these materials as you start planning.
Free Fishing Weekend Events
- Bald Mountain Recreation Area - Fishing 101
- Bay City State Park - Winter Festival
- Metamora-Hadley Recreation Area - Free Family Fishing Derby
- Rifle River Recreation Area - Winterfest
- Seven Lakes State Park - Ice Fishing Derby
- Seven Lakes State Park - Spring Fishing Derby
- Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery - Wild About Winter Activity Day