The Winter Sports Complex is located inside Muskegon State Park and offers unique winter experiences you won't find anywhere else:
The Muskegon Winter Sports Complex luge track is one of only four luge tracks that exist in the United States. It consists of six curves and two starting areas. Public participants slide from the 3/4 mark at speeds up to 30 mph. The track is designed specifically for general public use and those who have never tried luge before!
Ice Skating and Hockey:
Whether you’re a hockey player, speed skater or just a beginner, there is enough ice for everyone. The family skating rink, hockey rink and lighted, ¼ mile skating trail are open during the winter season, weather permitting. Don’t have equipment? Figure skates, hockey skates, hockey sticks, helmets and pucks are available to rent. Remember, if you have a hockey stick in your hand, you must have a helmet on your head.
In addition to the luge track and ice skating area, there are cross-country skiing trails, a family sledding area (built with young children in mind) and a lodge where you can warm up by the fire, sip on hot chocolate and purchase snacks.
ADA Accessible Activities:
The complex offers the following:
- Adaptive sleds with a bucket seat and skate blades affixed to the bottom.
- Specially designed, adaptive skis that allow skiers to sit on a seat and glide by pushing with ski poles.
- Ski trails that are graded and groomed to best accommodate adaptive skiing.
- Procedures and equipment have been modified to provide universal accessibility at the ice luge track. The track is one of only three “kunstbahn” style tracks in the country and the only one that is universally accessible.
- Accessible walkways located throughout the complex and lowered counters and tables inside the lodge.
- Other various accessible recreation initiatives.