Learn to Fish with Hook, Line and Sinker
We'll teach you casting and fishing basics, and can provide you with a rod and reel to use if you don't have your own. With step-by-step direction, you'll learn fishing basics like knot-tying, setting up your pole, casting, selecting and using bait, and removing fish from the hook.
The classes are offered free of charge, and participants under 17 do not need a fishing license.
Below are locations that may offer Hook, Line and Sinker classes. Please note, the links below are for each park's overall weekly program schedule, and Hook, Line and Sinker may not be offered at every location each week. To find upcoming dates and times, please call the location your are interested in. You can look up each of these parks on our Recreation Search website.
Looking for a family friendly place to fish and try out your new skills? Try our Family Friendly Fishing Waters!
Other Learn to Fish Opportunities
- Outdoor Skills Academy
The Outdoor Skills Academy classes and clinics provide a more in-depth skill development opportunity that are offered for a fee and require registration. Outdoor Skills Academy classes take place at our visitor centers at select parks and recreation areas around the state.
- More learning to fish information
New to fishing or interested in learning a new technique? We offer a variety of information, videos and other resources to help you get started.
Upcoming Fishing Events
- Join Fisheries Division staff for Conversations & Coffee this spring
Discuss local and statewide fisheries management activities at one of several evenings taking place this spring at locations around the state.
- Postponed Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery - Damsels Fly: Beginner Fly Fishing for Women
This class has been postponed.
- Canceled Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery - Art Market
This event has been canceled.
- Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery - National Kids to Parks Day - Family Nature Hike
Enjoy the sights and sounds of spring on family friendly hike on the nature trails of the hatchery in celebration of National Kids to Parks Day.
- Mitchell State Park - Bass Fishing for Beginners Clinic
Learn various strategies and techniques for chasing northern Michigan bass.
- FULL Mitchell State Park - Fly Fishing Clinic
This class is full.
- Metamora-Hadley Recreation Area - Free Family Fishing Derby
Join the park for a fishing derby during Free Fishing Weekend - no fishing license required. Fun prizes awarded in each age group!
- Muskallonge Lake State Park - Learn to Fish
Join the Friends of Muskallonge Lake State Park to learn the basics of fishing.
- Bald Mountain Recreation Area - Fishing 101
Join us during Free Fishing Weekend for this introductory fishing program which will teach you basic skills needed for this fun sport. All ages are welcome.
- Metamora-Hadley Recreation Area - Lake Minnawanna Fall Fishing Tournament
Enjoy a family-friendly fishing tournament on Lake Minnawanna. Trophies will be awarded for largest legal-size fish by weight caught in adult and youth age categories.