Learn to Fish with Hook, Line and Sinker
We'll teach you casting and fishing basics, and can provide you with a rod and reel to use if you don't have your own. With step-by-step direction, you'll learn fishing basics like knot-tying, setting up your pole, casting, selecting and using bait, and removing fish from the hook.
The classes are offered free of charge, and participants under 17 do not need a fishing license.
Below are locations that may offer Hook, Line and Sinker classes. Please note, the links below are for each park's overall weekly program schedule, and Hook, Line and Sinker may not be offered at every location each week. To find upcoming dates and times, please call the location your are interested in. You can look up each of these parks on our Recreation Search website.
Looking for a family friendly place to fish and try out your new skills? Try our Family Friendly Fishing Waters!
Other Learn to Fish Opportunities
- Recreation 101
Recreation 101 is a series of introductory classes taught by DNR staff or expert volunteers from organizations, guide services, outfitters and more. These volunteers offer their time and knowledge at no charge to the DNR or the participants.
- Outdoor Skills Academy
The Outdoor Skills Academy classes and clinics provide a more in-depth skill development opportunity that are offered for a fee and require registration. Outdoor Skills Academy classes take place at our visitor centers at select parks and recreation areas around the state.
- More learning to fish information
New to fishing or interested in learning a new technique? We offer a variety of information, videos and other resources to help you get started.
Upcoming Fishing Events
- Mitchell State Park - Hard Water School (Ice Fishing Class), Feb. 23-24
This class will cover everything from how to set up equipment and how and where to fish to ice safety and rules and regulations. The main focus will be techniques for panfish, walleye and pike.
- Rifle River Recreation Area - Winterfest
Experience family-friendly activities, including hayrides, sledding, ice fishing, snowshoeing and so much more!
- Mitchell State Park - Steelhead Fishing Clinic
Covering various strategies and techniques for chasing Michigan’s “chrome torpedoes.”
- Mitchell State Park - Walleye Fishing Clinic
This class will cover how Outdoor Skills Academy pro-staffers Steve Berry, Matt Peterson and representatives from Fishbone Custom Lures spend their days chasing trophy walleye – everything from which rod and reel to use to how to use your electronics.
- Mitchell State Park - Bass Fishing for Beginners Clinic
Covering various strategies and techniques for chasing northern Michigan bass.
- Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery - 2019 Art Market
Get hooked on art! The Friends of Wolf Lake are delighted to host its first annual art market and gift fair. Local artists will be set up inside the visitor center and around the show pond.
- Mitchell State Park - Beginners' Fly Fishing Clinic
Covering the basics of fly fishing, including demonstrations and instruction for various fly casts and instruction on fly selection based on target species.
- Oden Fish Hatchery Visitor Center - National Kids to Parks Day - Explore Aquatic Invertebrates
Celebrate Kids to Parks Day and join us for an exploration into aquatic invertebrates. Actively sample what lives in the stream year round and see the hidden life-cycle of common insects.
- Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery - National Kids to Parks Day - Family Nature Hike
Enjoy the sights and sounds of spring on a family friendly hike on the nature trails of the Wolf Lake State Fish Hatchery as we celebrate National Kids to Parks Day!
- Bald Mountain Recreation Area - Rec 101: Intro to Fishing
Join us during Free Fishing Weekend for this introductory fishing program which will teach you basic skills needed for this fun sport. All ages are welcome.
- Metamora-Hadley Recreation Area - Family Fishing Derby
Join the park for a fishing derby during Free Fishing Weekend - no fishing license required. Fun prizes awarded in each age group!
- Indian Lake State Park - Annual Fishing Tournament
Don't miss this fishing tournament that is fun for all ages!
- Metamora-Hadley Recreation Area - Lake Minnawanna Fall Fishing Tournament
Enjoy a family-friendly fishing tournament on Lake Minnawanna. Trophies will be awarded for largest legal-size fish by weight caught in adult and youth age categories.
- Fishing for Lake Trout (Lake Michigan MM 6-8) Anglers can fish for and possess lake trout on the Lake Michigan management units of MM 6-8.