The original hatchery opened in 1921, but was replaced by a brand-new facility in 2002 and is one of the most advanced locations of its kind. Oden rears brown trout and rainbow trout for both inland and Great Lakes waters.
This hatchery also features an official visitor center.
Visitor Center Information
Location: 3377 US 31, Oden, MI 49764 (between the towns of Petoskey and Alanson)
Open May 1 - Oct. 31
Memorial Day to Labor Day:
Mon - Sat: 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Sunday: noon - 6 p.m.
Before Memorial Day & after Labor Day:
Call visitor center for hours and tour information
Trails and viewing ponds:
Open year round. Please contact the visitor center directly for hatchery tour times and availability.
Location: 8258 South Ayr Road, Alanson, MI 49706
Contact: 231-347-4689 x12
Hours: Open at no charge to the public. Weekdays, 7:30 am to 4 pm. Weekends, 8 am to 4 pm. To schedule group tours, please call 231-347-4689.
Areas of interest to the public:
- Interpretative facilities and trails
- Replica fish transportation rail car
- Show pond featuring fish
- Broodstock facility with adult brown trout and rainbow trout on-site
- Egg-take activities from late September into early January (public is welcome to watch!)
- Underwater viewing chamber to see fish in native habitat
- Scheduled seasonal programming - including kid-friendly fishing activities
- Guided and self-guided tours
- Close proximity to resort towns of northern Michigan
- Bike path
- Birding opportunities (more than 120 species seen, including osprey and eagle)
- Location for the DNR's Stamp & Go Guide
See the fish stocking database for detailed information of fish stocked.
Department of Natural Resources