Closed to the public until further notice
To help prevent the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), the DNR has closed several public facilities until further notice. Events scheduled to take place at these facilities have been canceled or postponed.
See all COVID-19-related information for DNR facilities and services. To see a list of all canceled events please check the DNR calendar.
Trails and feeding the fish are open year round, at no charge to the public.
Visitor Center Hours
- Memorial Day - Labor Day; Monday through Saturday, 10 am to 6 pm. Sunday, 12 pm to 6 pm.
- September - first three weekends in November; Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm. Sunday, 12 pm to 4 pm.
- Thanksgiving - March: closed
- April - May; Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm. Sunday, 12 pm to 4 pm.
Please contact the visitor center directly for hatchery tour times and availability.
Areas of interest
- Feed and view fish on the giant show pond (showcased by Carbon TV live web cam)
- 23 live lake sturgeon in show pond - some over five feet in length!
- Nature trail system, including self-guided nature hikes
- Excellent bird and wildlife viewing, particularly during migrations
- Scheduled seasonal programming - including hatchery tours, kid-friendly fishing activities, archery, scavenger hunts and more
- Interpretative facilities featuring an exhibit hall, auditorium, gift shop and much more
- Historic water wheel
- Butterfly garden and native prairie habitats
- Snowshoeing opportunities
- Access to local breweries, wineries and several state parks (including Van Buren, Yankee Springs and Fort Custer)
See the fish stocking database for detailed information of fish stocked.