Attention - currently closed to public
Although most emergency and epidemic orders have been lifted, some DNR public facilities remain closed. Many state employees remain on mandatory telework and the locations they traditionally work at remain closed. We will be announcing scheduled reopenings as the facilities are prepared and staff return.
Please check our DNR COVID-19 Response webpage for the latest information.
Trails and feeding the fish are open year round, at no charge to the public.
Visitor Center Hours
- Memorial Day - Labor Day; Monday through Saturday, 10 am to 6 pm. Sunday, 12 pm to 6 pm.
- September - first three weekends in November; Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm. Sunday, 12 pm to 4 pm.
- Thanksgiving - March: closed
- April - May; Tuesday through Saturday, 10 am to 4 pm. Sunday, 12 pm to 4 pm.
Please contact the visitor center directly for hatchery tour times and availability.
Areas of interest
- Feed and view fish on the giant show pond (showcased by Carbon TV live web cam)
- 23 live lake sturgeon in show pond - some over five feet in length!
- Nature trail system, including self-guided nature hikes
- Excellent bird and wildlife viewing, particularly during migrations
- Scheduled seasonal programming - including hatchery tours, kid-friendly fishing activities, archery, scavenger hunts and more
- Interpretative facilities featuring an exhibit hall, auditorium, gift shop and much more
- Historic water wheel
- Butterfly garden and native prairie habitats
- Snowshoeing opportunities
- Access to local breweries, wineries and several state parks (including Van Buren, Yankee Springs and Fort Custer)
See the fish stocking database for detailed information of fish stocked.