Hatchery buildings are now open to the public. We encourage Individuals who are not yet fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to wear a mask when inside buildings open to the public.
This location opened in 1922 and produces Chinook salmon, steelhead and walleye for both inland and Great Lakes waters.
Location: 944 S. State Highway M149, Manistique, MI 49854
Hours: Open at no charge to the public. Tours and visitor center are self-guided and open daily, 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. Buildings are locked after 3:30 pm, but visitors are still welcome to self-tour outside. To schedule group tours, please call 906-341-5587 (extension 201).
Areas of interest to the public:
- Interpretative signage and self-guided tour
- Informative, short video to watch that explains the hatchery and how it operates
- Please note: hatchery buildings are closed to unguided public tours due to fish health and public safety concerns
- Outside buildings with fish for viewing begin to open in September and continues into May
- Show pond filled with large trout
- Close proximity to Indian Lake State Park, Palms Book State Park and Fayette Historical State Park
- Location for the DNR's Stamp & Go Guide
Below is Thompson's current production statistics:
Species - Strain Age Number Stocked Chinook salmon Spring fingerling 248,953 Steelhead trout Fall fingerling 246,268 Steelhead trout Spring yearling 595,759 Walleye Fry 6,150,010 TOTAL 7,240,990
See the fish stocking database for detailed information of fish stocked.