ORV Certification for Persons with a Disability
Persons that meet the following criteria are permitted to operate licensed ATVs or ORVs on forest roads that are open to public vehicular travel on state lands, including those not posted open to ORVs.
Privileges DO NOT extend to cross-country travel or to areas, trails and roads specifically posted CLOSED to vehicle or ORV use, nor to the operation of an ORV within state game, wildlife, or research areas, federal forest lands, state parks, state recreation areas or Michigan trailways:
- Those persons issued a valid temporary or permanent handicapper parking permit issued by the Secretary of State Office.
- Those persons holding Permits to Hunt from a Standing Vehicle.
- Those persons with a physicians certification for the following disabilities:
- Loss of 1 or both legs or feet;
- Inability to walk more than 200 feet without having to stop and rest;
- Inability to walk without prolonged use of wheelchair, walker, crutches, braces or other devices to aide in mobility;
- Lung disease from which the person's expiratory volume for 1 second is less than 1 liter when measured by spirometry;
- Lung disease from which the person's arterial oxygen is less than 60 mm/hg of room air at rest;
- Cardiovascular disease from which the person measures between 3 and 4 on the New York heart classification scale/
- Cardiovascular disease from which a marked limitation of physical activity causes fatigue, palpitation, dyspnea or anginal pain;
- Other disease or disorder including but not limited to severe arthritis or neurological-orthopedic impairment that creates a severe mobility limitation.
- Click here for a copy of the Physicians certification of eligibility form.
- Persons with obvious severe disabilities (i.e., paraplegics, quadriplegic).
Operation of the ORV is subject to licensing and all other requirements and restrictions, and shall only be at a speed and in a manner which does not degrade the environment. These privileges may extend to one companion of the disabled person serving as operator or passenger of the disabled person's ORV, if the ORV is designed for passenger use.