The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
ORV Trail Improvement Fund
This program provides funding for maintenance of established ORV trails and facilities as part of the designated statewide trail system. It also funds development of new trails and facilities, and restoration of natural resources damaged by ORV use.
Applications for trail, route, or area maintenance and/or development must be for facilities that are open to the public. Applications for damage restoration funds must be for lands in public ownership.
Government agencies and nonprofit, incorporated clubs and organizations are eligible for these grants. Individuals are not eligible.
- Grant applications and information on applying for grants are available in early spring.
- Grant applications with required documents are due to the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (Department) by May 1.
- The Department reviews applications and selects projects to be funded.
- Grant agreements are issued to sponsors in late fall for the upcoming ORV season.
- Approved sponsors must return two signed, original project agreements to the Department.
- A fully executed grant agreement is provided to each sponsor.
Grant applications are due May 1 of each year.
The time period from grant application to grant award is approximately five months. Grants are issued for an entire fiscal year, October 1 through September 30.
Dollar amount(s) available
Maximum allowable is up to 100 percent of cost, not to exceed the actual grant allocation.
Source(s) of funds
ORV Trail Improvement Fund, administered by the Department.
Richard Kennedy, DNR Parks and Recreation Division:, at 517-284-7275 or KennedyR@Michigan.gov.
Forms and information for applicants
Forms and information for grantees
- ORV Trail Improvement Fund Grant Handbook IC3600 (FY23)
- Michigan Motorized Trail Maintenance and Signing Handbook
- Sponsor Owned Equipment Costs PR1853
- Administrative Completeness Checklist PR1992
- Professional Services Certification PR1903-1
- Bid Tabulation and Authorization PR1993
- ORV Brushing, Signing and Grading Log PR1990-3
- Trail and Route Maintenance & Grading Reimbursement Request PR1838-1
- Restoration / Special Maintenance and Insurance Reimbursement Request PR1838-3
- Land and New Development Reimbursement Request PR1838-4
- MDOT Schedule C Equipment Rates