The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Oden State Fish Hatchery & Visitor Center
Open at no charge to the public. Weekdays, 7:30 am to 4 pm. Weekends, 8 am to 4 pm. To schedule group tours, please call 231-347-4689.
The original hatchery opened in 1920, but was replaced by a brand-new facility in 2002 and is one of the most advanced locations of its kind. Oden rears brown trout and rainbow trout for both inland and Great Lakes waters.
Areas of interest to the public:
- Interpretative facilities and trails
- Replica fish transportation rail car
- Show pond featuring fish Broodstock facility with adult brown trout and rainbow trout on-site
- Egg-take activities from late September into early January (public is welcome to watch!)
- Underwater viewing chamber to see fish in native habitat
- Scheduled seasonal programming - including kid-friendly fishing activities
- Guided and self-guided tours
- Close proximity to resort towns of northern Michigan
- Bike path
- Birding opportunities (more than 120 species seen, including osprey and eagle)
See the fish stocking database for detailed information of fish stocked.