The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Purchase permit, learn requirements
When an ORV license and/or trail permit is required
Both the ORV license and trail permit are valid for one year, which begins April 1 and ends March 31 of the following year.
An ORV license is required to ride eligible county roads, frozen surface of public waters, state forest roads (open to ORV use) and eligible national forest roads.
- The cost is $26.25.
- A license is not required to operate on private lands.
- Both the ORV license and trail permit are valid for one year, which begins April 1 and ends March 31 of the following year.
An ORV trail permit is required when operating on state-designated ORV trails and scramble areas.
- The cost is $10 (plus $26.25 for the ORV license) for a total of $36.25.
- ORV trail permits are not valid as a stand-alone license; an ORV license must also be purchased.
- A trail permit is not required to operate on private lands.
Where to purchase
- Online through eLicense (sent through the U.S. mail and will take approximately 7-10 business days).
- In person at a number of DNR license agents and dealers.
Your dollars at work
Fees generated through ORV licenses and trail permits are reinvested back into the ORV system. These important dollars help fund trail expansion, grant funding to sponsors and clubs for annual trail grooming, infrastructure improvements and law enforcement.
Vehicle type / what's needed
|Type of vehicle||Designated ORV trails (for vehicles 50" in width or less)||Designated ORV routes passable by conventional 2-wheel drive passenger vehicle||Designated ORV routes not passable by conventional 2-wheel drive passenger vehicle and scramble areas||Frozen surface of public waters|
|Regular ORV (not street-licensed)||both||both||both||ORV license|
|Off-road motorcycle (not street licensed)||both||both||both||ORV license|
|Off-road, street-licensed motorcycle||both||neither||both||neither|
|Street-licensed truck or passenger vehicle||not permissible||neither||both||neither|