Skip to main content

Substance Use Disorder Licensure

Bureau of Community and Health Systems


This page is designed to assist substance use disorder (SUD) providers and recipients through the state licensure process, as well as provide additional resources.  You will find information regarding applying for a new license, making changes to an existing license, annual licensure renewalslicensure requirements and service categories, complaint processSUD laws and regulations, and resources

State Licensing

State licensing is required for Substance Use Disorder Programs.  For specific information about licensure requirements and service categories, see SUBSTANCE USE DISORDER LICENSE (


New License

To begin operation of a new substance use disorder (SUD) program, all of the following steps must be completed:

1.Complete state licensure application LARA-SLACR-SUD and email completed application to

2.Payment:  For electronic payments, visit LARA BCHS NLTC LICENSE - Electronic Payment.  Paying electronically is the fastest way to have your application processed.  There is a 2% processing fee for electronic payments.  Paying electronically expedites the application process.  If you do not agree to pay the processing fee, a written check may be submitted by mail (please see below for mailing instructions).  Please note, submitting by mail may delay processing 6-8 weeks. 

Fees for New Licensure
Licensing Fee         $500
NOTE:  If a governmental entity is directly offering SUD services, a license cannot be issued in accordance with MCL 333.6233(1), 333.1106(4), and 333.1104(7).  Governmental entities include sovereign tribes, state government agencies, local city or county agencies, and other government units.



To make changes to an existing licensed facility including relocation, facility name change, change of ownership or corporate name change, and/or change in service category: 

1.Complete the state licensure application and change request form LARA-SLACR-SUD

2.Fees/Payment:  To make your payment electronically for changes to an existing license, visit LARA Change Request Payments.  Paying electronically is the fastest way to have your application processed.  There is a 2% processing fee for credit card payments or $0.15 processing fee for electronic check payments.  Paying electronically expedites the process for changes to existing licenses.  If you do not agree to pay the processing fee, a written check may be submitted by mail.  (please see below for mailing instructions).

 Fees for Changes to an Existing License

Substance Abuse Program Licensure

►License (facility/DBA) name change      $500

►CHOW or corporate name change         $500

►Relocation                                                      $500

►Mobile Unit                                                    $0

►Branch Location                                           $0

►Change in Service Categories                  $500



All State Licenses must be renewed annually.  Annual renewal letters and invoices are sent in June of each year.  License renewals must be paid online no later than July 31st.  Renewal is only open beginning in June (not before) at eLicense

Fees for Licensure Renewal
Substance Use Disorder Licensure$500


Licensure Requirements & Service Categories

A state licensure application is required to begin operation of a new SUD program.  SUD programs must identify the type of services to be offered at the licensed site by designating a specific service level category or categories outlined below:

  • PREVENTION - Prevention services reduce the risk that an individual will develop problems that might require that he or she enter the substance abuse treatment system.
    • CAIT (Community Change, Alternatives, Information, Training) – Means prevention services offered by a substance use disorder services program.
  • Treatment and Rehabilitation Services - Treatment and rehabilitation services will provide emergent, outpatient, intermediate, or inpatient service and care. The services offered might include diagnostic evaluation, medical, psychiatric, psychological, social service care, and referral services that may be extended to an individual who is or appears to be incapacitated.
    • Outpatient – Means SUD treatment services by offering scheduled, periodic care, including diagnosis and therapy, in a non-residential setting.
    • Methadone program means a program engaged in opioid treatment of an individual with an opioid agonist treatment medication registered under 21 USC 823(g)(1), methadone..
    • Residential means a residential setting that is staffed and provides substance use disorder treatment or rehabilitation services onsite. 
    • Residential withdrawal management program means a residential setting offering either clinically managed or medically monitored withdrawal management services for the purposes of detoxification. 
      • Clinically managed withdrawal management services shall offer peer and social support services only and not offer or administer schedule II-V controlled substances, as classified under 21 USC 812, for the management of withdrawal, including methadone and buprenorphine.
      • Medically monitored withdrawal management services shall offer medical and nursing care and may administer medications for the management of withdrawal.
    • Inpatient Hospitalization – Means SUD treatment services that are provided to a person within a hospital setting under medical supervision. Inpatient care may include both emergency services and non-emergency services. Inpatient care is provided in hospitals operated by or in beds licensed by the Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs




When a person believes that it is necessary to file a formal complaint, it is important that the complainant understands whether their concerns meet the criteria for a recipient rights complaint or a non-recipient rights complaint.  Recipient Rights are detailed in the Public Health Code (PA 368 of 1978).  These rights were provided to the recipient at the time of admission by the program and the recipient is provided a copy of the “Know Your Rights” brochure.  If the allegation(s) is a violation of recipient rights, please follow the guidance below as the complaint needs to be investigated by other entities prior to filing a complaint with the Department.

  1. Complainant will need to complete BCHS-SUD-200.The form should be provided directly to the SUD program rights advisor.
    • The complainant will receive a copy of the BCHS-SUD-205 detailing the findings of the investigation by the SUD program.


  2. If the complainant is unsatisfied with the findings from the SUD program, the complainant may file an appeal to the Regional Entity by completing BCHS-SUD-210.
    • The complainant will receive a copy of the BCHS-SUD-215 detailing the finding of the investigation by the Regional Rights Consultants investigation.


  3. If the complainant is unsatisfied with the findings from the Regional Rights Consultant, the complainant may file an appeal to the Department by completing BCHS-SUD-220.
    • The complainant will receive a copy of the BCHS-SUD-225 detailing the findings of the investigation by the Department.


  4. If the complainant is unsatisfied with the decision from the Department, the complainant can request a hearing from the Department Director (under the administrative procedures act of 1969, 1969 PA 306, MCL 24.201 to 24.328).



The complainant will need to complete the BCHS-SUD-250 for non-recipient rights concern(s). This complaint should be limited to allegations that a program did not comply with the Public Health Code, Mental Health Code, other state laws, or the substance use disorder state administrative rules. The following are examples of non-recipient rights concerns: 

  • Medication errors
  • Staffing concerns
  • Facility physical plant concerns
  • Violation of state administrative rules or other state and/or federal laws.




SUD Administrative Rules

Public Health Code (PA 368 of 1978)

Mental Health Code (PA 258 of 1974)




Find SUD Providers

Know your rights brochure & poster

Regional Entity Contact Information

Syringe Service Program (SSP) - general information and locate programs

Find Naloxone - locate pharmacies in Michigan that are approved to dispense naloxone

National Harm Reduction Coalition - Find SSPs throughout the United States and mail-based naloxone distribution services

Vital Strategies Harm Reduction Toolkit- A COVID-19 Harm Reduction Toolkit (Provider resource)

NEW: SUD Counseling Rules FAQs – November 2023

NEW: LARA SUD Rule Changes FAQs – September 2023

NEW: Evidence Based Resources – September 2023

NEW:  SUD Administrative Rules Overview Webinar 9.12.23 



Mailing Information

When submitting for a new license or change request by mail, you must submit the LARA-SLACR-SUD and licensure invoice with a written check to:

P.O. Box 30664
Lansing, MI 48909

Contact Information

Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs

Bureau of Community & Health Systems
611 W. Ottawa Street
Lansing, MI 48909

Main Line: 517-335-1980

Non-Long Term Care State Licensing Section
Phone: 1-833-757-7308