Skip to main content

Formal Complaints and Initiating Orders



The Formal Complaint or Initiating Order is the document that sets forth allegations that the Respondent or an Applicant violated a Public Act and/or administrative rule(s), administered by the Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs, Corporations, Securities and Commercial Licensing Bureau. 

Business Meeting

  • If you receive a Formal Complaint or Initiating Order (Notice and Order to Cease and Desist or a Notice of Intent to Deny or Revoke), please review all the allegations carefully. This document notifies you of the alleged violations and the specific facts that support those violations. 
  • If you were served with an order that summarily suspends your license or registration, the license or registration is no longer active, and the licensee or registrant may not engage in any activity that requires the license or registration. The Notice of Summary Suspension that accompanies the Order explains your options.
  • Read the documents carefully and respond in writing within the requested time frame or the time frame required by law via email, mail, or fax using the following contact information: 

    Mailing Address:   

    Corporations, Securities, & Commercial Licensing Bureau
    Regulatory Compliance Division
    PO Box 30018
    Lansing MI 48909

    Email Address:

    Fax Number: (517) 763-0040

    If you have questions on how to complete and return the applicable forms, you may contact CSCL’s Regulatory Compliance Division by telephone at (517) 241-9590, or by email at the above referenced email address. 

  • If you are a respondent and do not respond within the required time frame(s), an initiating order could become final by operation of law without a formal hearing. If a formal hearing is required, you could be assessed administrative costs in addition to fines and other licensing penalties even if no one on your behalf attends the hearing.
  • An attorney is not required to participate in the administrative proceedings nor will one be provided to you. If you wish to consult with an attorney to understand your legal rights and responsibilities, you may do so at your own expense. Please note that the Corporations, Securities & Commercial Licensing Bureau cannot provide you with legal advice.
  • If you are a licensee, you are obligated to update your mailing address on file with the Bureau. Updating your mailing address on your driver’s license, state issued identification card, or updating your address with the U.S. Postal Service does not notify the Bureau of a change of address. Commercial licensees may update their address by contacting the Bureau’s Licensing Division.