- Learn about Michigan fish species
- Michigan Fishing is Catching On - informational booklet
- How-To: General Fishing Basics Videos
- How-To: Clean and Care for Your Catch
- How-To: Tie a Knot Learn how to tie a basic fisherman's knot!
- Fishing Technique: The Art of Catch-and-Release Fishing - What Anglers Need to Know
Catch-and-release fishing has been an important part of recreational angling for many decades, but the practice has approached critical mass in recent years. The following tips showcase what anglers can do to be successful at catch-and-release with success equating to survival.
- Discover places to go with Trout Trails tool
Want to target trout while fly fishing? Discover some of the best places in Michigan to go with our online tool.
- Glossary of fly fishing terms
All the fly fishing terms you need to know, and their definitions!
- Species to target
While many people usually think of fly fishing as exclusively targeting trout, you don't have to just target trout when you go fly fishing, lots of other fish species can be fished with flies!
- Grip & Casting Diagrams
There are numerous casting techniques you can use when you go fly fishing. The important thing to remember is that it takes practice to perfect these casts.
Would you like to build your fly fishing skills? Consider finding a class or workshop in your area that can help.
Learn how to fish ponds, lakes, streams and rivers.
- Flies: what you might need
When you fly fish you're attempting to fool the fish into thinking your fly is its natural prey. Flies are made specifically to imitate the foods fish eat in terms of size, color and shape. They can be homemade or bought in different sizes and patterns.
- Equipment Basic fly fishing equipment includes a rod, reel, fly line and leader. Instead of using bait, fly anglers use artificial flies.
- Fly fishing knots to know
It's essential to know some basic knots when learning how to fly fish.
- Michigan's Best Waters to Fly Fish for Wild Trout Discover some of the best places to fish for wild trout in Michigan!