Silver Lake State Park
Drag racing prohibited
Background: Silver Lake ORV Area is enjoyed by thousands of ORV enthusiasts each year. This 450-acre dune experience is the only sand dune riding opportunity east of the Mississippi and has been available to the public for nearly 40 years.
In the past, the "test and tune" area has been available for riders to test their equipment; however, some have used the area to accelerate vehicles in a manner consistent with drag racing.
Law: The Motor Vehicle Code prohibits drag racing. More recently the DNR has determined that this prohibition also applies to Silver Lake ORV Area.
Therefore, drag racing and other reckless driving are prohibited. Safety is our first priority for all riders.
New test area option: We will establish a 100-yard "time trial" run where riders can time their ORVs from point to point by this weekend. Those who want to "drag race" can do so at a privately owned facility designed for that purpose near Silver Lake State Park.
About the park:
Silver Lake State Park is home to 2,000 acres of sand dunes, including a 450-acre ORV scramble area, that has been a family-fun destination for generations. Help maintain a safe and enjoyable environment for all visitors by reviewing the park's ORV rules below and the following best practices:
- Wear a helmet.
- Wear a seatbelt.
- Maintain safe speeds and control of your vehicle at all times.
- If modifying a vehicle, make sure safety features such as roll bars are included.
- Respect our natural resources - pay attention to signage indicating boundaries and protection efforts underway.
Dates & hours:
The ORV area is open April 1 - Oct. 31
- April 1 - April 30: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
- May 1 - Sept. 15: 9 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Sept. 16 - Oct. 31: 9 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Please note: Access to the ORV area and dunes is stopped ½ hour ahead of closing time each evening.
All motor vehicles entering the Silver Lake State Park must display:
- Recreation Passport.
- Michigan ORV license and trail permit.
- Parking lot vouchers: Required on summer weekends and holidays.
Connect with us: