Closed to the public until further notice
To help prevent the spread of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), the DNR has closed several public facilities until further notice. Events scheduled to take place at these facilities have been canceled or postponed.
See all COVID-19-related information for DNR facilities and services. To see a list of all canceled events please check the DNR calendar.
This state fish hatchery was established in 1920 and is the primary broodstock and rearing facility for brook and lake trout for both inland and Great Lakes waters.
Marquette also rears splake - a hybrid cross between lake trout and brook trout.
Location: 488 Cherry Creek Road, Marquette, MI 49855
Hours: Open at no charge to the public. Weekdays, 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. Weekends, 8 am to 3:30 pm. To schedule group tours, please call 906-249-1611.
Areas of interest to the public:
- Indoor and outdoor interpretative areas
- Broodstock facility with adult brook trout and lake trout on-site
- Egg-take activities every October and November (public is welcome to watch!)
- House natural albino fish
- Uses water from Cherry Creek
- Very close to Northern Michigan University and beautiful downtown Marquette
- Features Marquette Fisheries Research Station upstairs
- Location for the DNR Stamp & Go Guide
See the fish stocking database for detailed information of fish stocked. Below are 2019 stocking numbers.
Species-Strain Age Number Stocked Brook Trout Spring Fingerlings 0 Fall Fingerlings 30,170 Yearling 70,726 Adult 1,543 Lake Trout-Lake Superior Strain Yearling 58,861 Adult 273 Lake Trout-Senica Strain Yearling 60,006 Splake Yearling 187,218 TOTAL 408,797
The video below highlights the work of Thompson and Marquette State Fish Hatcheries and the DNR's fish stocking efforts. Video provided by Brian Whitens, Media Productions. An excerpt from Discovering program on WLUC TV6.
The video below highlights the Great Lakes mass marking program. Video provided by Brian Whitens, Media Productions. An excerpt from Discovering program on WLUC TV6.