The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
Fisheries Habitat Grant Program
The Fisheries Habitat Grant supports a variety of activities to benefit fisheries, aquatic resources, and the public, including fish habitat conservation, dam removal and repair, and access to recreation.
Competitive projects will address causes of habitat degradation as opposed to symptoms, provide long-lasting benefits, address needs on the Fisheries Division priority habitat projects list, be cost-effective, use appropriate methods, monitor project outcomes, address health and human safety for dam management, and/or address research and assessment needs to inform future habitat conservation.
2021 DNR Fisheries Priority Habitat Conservation Project List
The Priority Habitat Conservation Projects list encourages projects that sustain healthy habitats, fisheries, and aquatic communities. It is intended to be used for the Fisheries Habitat Grant as well as other conservation activities across the state. Partners should review this list for projects of interest and discuss methods, eligibility, and other factors with staff. Eligible applications to the Fisheries Habitat Grant that address projects on this list may receive preference. This public list is not all-inclusive of DNR-supported projects, and potential partners should consult with DNR Fisheries staff when choosing and developing proposed habitat projects.
Local, state, federal or tribal units of government, academic institutions, or non-profit groups.
- Consultation with DNR staff
- Submittal of a pre-proposal
- Evaluation by DNR staff
- Submittal of a full grant application (invitation based)
- Evaluation by DNR staff
- Final approval of grant awards by the DNR Director
- Request for pre-proposals begins October 12, 2021
- Pre-proposals due November 12, 2021
- Invitation to submit full applications begins December 14, 2021
- Full applications due January 21, 2022
- Awards announced by approximately April, 2022
- Project period begins upon execution of grant agreement
- Project periods are one and a half years (two construction seasons) with potential to apply for extensions
- Minimum grant request amount: $25,000
- Maximum grant request amount: Amount of funds available in the theme(s) for which the application is eligible (up to $1.7 M)
- Minimum match of 10% is required
Source of funds
Game and Fish Protection Fund (Aquatic habitat conservation theme), State of Michigan General Fund (Dam management theme), and Game and Fish Settlement Fund (Aquatic habitat and recreation in the Au Sable, Manistee and Muskegon watersheds theme).
Part 5 of Act 451, P.A. 1994, as amended, and annual appropriation by the Michigan Legislature
Fisheries Division: Joe Nohner, 517-284-6236
Grants Management Section: Chip Kosloski, 517-284-5965