The web Browser you are currently using is unsupported, and some features of this site may not work as intended. Please update to a modern browser such as Chrome, Firefox or Edge to experience all features Michigan.gov has to offer.
We're seeking 2022 volunteer campground hosts in Michigan state parks and rustic state forest campgrounds. In exchange, camping fees are waived. Each volunteer campground host is responsible for 30 hours of service per week, such as answering camper questions, planning campground activities and performing light park maintenance duties.
Campground hosts are screened and interviewed by park managers and selected on availability, familiarity of camping and state parks, special skills and knowledge of the area. Hosts must participate in a two-day training session within the first two years of being selected. This year's training will be virtual and will take place June 2, 2022.
- Both individuals and couples may apply.
- Must be 18 or older and provide your own camping equipment, food and other personal items.
- Ability to work at least five days a week, including weekends and holidays (totaling 30 hours per week).
- Must be able to volunteer for a minimum of 30 days (positions available April through October).
- Must pass a background check.
- Applicants may not be DNR employees.
The Campground Host Policy outlines additional duties and expectations.
How to apply
Take a look at the list of current openings, complete the application and liability waiver and then mail or email applications as described below (addresses are listed along with current openings).
- For state parks and recreation areas, please mail or email your application and liability waiver directly to the park where you would like to host.
- For state forest campgrounds, please mail your application and liability waiver to the address listed on the form.
Applications are accepted year-round until vacancies are filled. You may apply for positions at more than one state park or recreation areas, but separate applications should be completed.
If you have any questions. please contact Michelle O'Kelly via email or call 517-899-5211.