Skip to main content

Recent Law Changes

17-Year-Olds May Sell and Serve Alcoholic Liquor at On-Premises Licensed Locations

Business that hold a license that allows for the sale, service, and consumption of alcoholic liquor on the premises may now allow 17-year-old employees to sell and serve alcoholic liquor to customers.  The 17-year-old employee must have successfully completed a server training program approved by the Commission.  During a shift when a 17-year-old employee is selling and serving alcohol, there must also be supervisory personnel on the premises that are at least 18 years old and who have also successfully completed a server training program.  Please visit the Commission's server training webpage for information on the approved server training programs available.  Furthermore, it is important to note that the Youth Employment Standards Act (MCL 409.115) prohibits work permits to be issued to 16- or 17-year-olds to work in an establishment where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises unless food or other goods constitutes at least 50% of the total gross receipts. 

This change in the law does not allow employees under the age of 18 to sell alcohol at a licensed business that sells alcoholic liquor for off-premises consumption, such as grocery, convenience, or liquor stores.

Wholesaler Licensees May Employ 16- and 17-Year-Olds For Certain Tasks

Wholesaler licensees that distribute beer, wine, and mixed spirit drink product to retailer licensees may now employ 16- and 17-year-old employees to build displays, mark prices, rotate products, and place products on shelves in off-premises retailer liquor licensed locations without needing a Salesperson License.  The change in the law does not allow employees of Wholesaler licensee under the age of 18 to hold a Salesperson License or to drive a vehicle licensed by the Commission for transporting alcoholic liquor.

New On-Premises Public Swimming Pool Permit

Businesses that hold a liquor license for the sale, service, and consumption of alcoholic liquor on the premises may apply for and be issued an On-Premises Public Swimming Pool Permit for a swimming pool on the licensed premises that will allow the sale and consumption of alcoholic liquor in a swimming pool by customers.  The swimming pool must be issued a Public Swimming Pool Permit by the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, & Energy (EGLE).  A swimming pool must first meet a number of specifications in its construction to qualify for this permit.  EGLE will need to certify that the pool meets these requirements and an investigation by the MLCC Enforcement Division will need to be conducted prior to the licensee being issued the On-Premises Public Swimming Pool Permit by the MLCC.  For more information on the requirements, please see the On-Premises Public Swimming Pool Permit Application (LCC-209).

Additional Self-Service Dispensing Machines Now Allowed For On-Premises Licensees

In addition to tabletop self-service dispensing equipment, on-premises licensees may now utilize self-service dispensing machines that are not at a customer's table or booth, such as a beer wall taps or wine dispensing machine.  The wall tap dispensing machines may only dispense beer, wine, or mixed spirit drink* products.  The machines must not dispense spirits or cocktails.  An employee of the licensee must monitor the machines to ensure that underaged minors and intoxicated people are not served alcohol.  The employee must also activate the secure key card that the customer will use to operate the self-service dispenser.  The dispensing equipment must not dispense more than 16 ounces of beer or 12 ounces of wine or mixed spirit drink per serving.  The equipment must also stop dispensing once a customer has reached 32 ounces total, at which point the employee  must reactivate the secure key card.  A licensee that has these self-service machines faces double maximum fines of up to $2,000 for violations where an underaged minor or intoxicated person is served alcohol, regardless of whether the alcohol was served from the self-service dispensers.

Click here for a document that describes the different statutory requirements for table-top and wall tap self-service dispensing equipment.

*Mixed spirit drink products are spirit-based drinks with lower alcohol content (less than 10% for most products or less than 13.5% for canned cocktails) that are produced and packaged by the original manufacturer.  These are not mixed drinks or cocktails mixed by a bartender on the premises.