Certificate of Veterinary Inspection:
A Certificate of Veterinary Inspection (CVI), also known as a health certificate, is used for movement from one state to another and can only be issued by an USDA-accredited veterinarian.
Accredited veterinarians are responsible for confirming that their clients are moving animals in accordance with state and federal laws.
To ensure you are following Michigan’s movement requirements, visit the animal movement pages.
Electronic CVIs can save you time and money, while providing better customer service. MDARD now offers two free options to Michigan's accredited veterinarians: MI eCVI and mCVI.
- Free fillable PDF that can be stored on your computer
- Great for use in veterinary clinics
- Only requires Adobe Reader (free) and internet access
- Email completed certificate to CVI@michigan.gov within seven days of the inspection date
- How to create an eCVI vet template
- How to create consignor/consignee templates
- How to create animal lists
- How to create a digital signature
- How to use the submit button*
* MDARD’s contact information, not Minnesota’s, will appear in the auto-generated email window.
- Free application that works on any Android or Apple device
- Great for use in ambulatory practices and mobile clinics
- Creates certificates locally on the device with or without internet or cellular service
- Certificates can be emailed to the client, to the office, or printed off with use of a compatible Bluetooth printer
- Import clients (consignors) from the contacts stored on the device
- Able to import official animal IDs and other data from a spreadsheet
- Automatically submits the certificate when the device has internet or cellular service
To get started, visit the IIAD Resource Page for links to download the free mCVI app, Quick Start Guides, and instructional videos.
For additional electronic CVI options, see our comparison chart. For more information, please contact Colleen Phillipich at 800-292-3939.
Paper Health Certificate Forms
Paper form provided by the Animal Industry Division (AID): the all-species CVI (interstate movement only)
All-species CVI forms can be ordered from AID via phone, at 517-373-9794, or via email by following these three easy steps:
- Download the supply order form PDF from Ordering Forms and Supplies.
- Complete the form.
- Email it to MDARDemail@example.com
Paper forms provided by the U.S. Department of Agriculture: APHIS 7001
- Small animals only
- Interstate or international movement.
- Not accepted by these states: Alaska, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin
You can submit your paper CVIs by mail, fax or email at:
Mail: MDARD AID, P.O. BOX 30017, LANSING, MI 48909
Aphis 7001 Form (for international movement)
Pet Health Certificates:
A Pet Health Certificate is required to be given to a customer by a Michigan pet shop when a dog, cat or ferret is purchased. It is also required to be given to customers of large-scale dog breeding kennels (more than 15 breeding females).
The certificate is required to be issued by a licensed veterinarian and is valid for 30 days from the date the animal was examined. More information can be found in the Pet Health Certificate Instructions.