• An event is defined as a single, structured, organized, consolidated, scheduled meeting or occurrence on DNR-managed public land where a fee or donation is required for participation and/or the number of people involved is 20 or more.

    At a shelter

    To reserve a shelter, visit www.midnrreservations.com. If the shelter is not reservable, please contact the facility where the shelter is located. If the shelter rental is part of a larger event, and goes beyond typical shelter use (such as a bounce house), a use permit from the facility may be necessary.

    At a park, recreation area, boating access site, or rail trail

    Fill out an event use permit application. DNR staff will review your application and give it a “level of use score” depending on the impact it will have on staff and the facility where the event will take place. Event fee schedule – depending on the nature of your event we may determine that there is a fee associated with the event.

    Fishing tournaments and land use permits

    In addition to registering a tournament on the Michigan Fishing Tournament Information System, a few tournaments may also be required to apply for an event use permit. Please review the criteria for when a fishing tournament may need an event or other use permit. Please contact the facility where the event will occur for questions about whether or not a permit is needed.

    In a water body

    Fill out a marine event application. An event use permit may also be needed. Please contact the facility where the event will occur for more information.

    On state forest land or state game area

    If your event will take place somewhere other than a state park, boating access site or rail trail, please fill out an event use permit application for state forest land.

    State surface land use fee schedule – depending on nature of your event, monitoring fees and use fees may apply. DNR staff will review your application and determine a “level of use score” depending on the impact it will have on staff and the facility.

  • Motorized Events on Public Lands

    A permit application is necessary when:
    • an activity is in contrast with an existing DNR administrative rule or land use order of the director (ie. riding in an area not designated for motorized use).
    • an event fee is assessed to participants. This does not apply to closed club opportunities or when donations are solicited, but not required to participate in the event.
    • the event is not completely located on a designated motorized trail system. State forest roads are not considered designated motorized trails. Approval for events on state lands outside of the designated motorized trail system requires permission from the land administering division of those lands. If the event occurs beyond the boundaries of DNR lands, it is the event organizers responsibility to secure approvals through other property owners or administrations. 
    • non-licensed motorized vehicles are being utilized.
    • DNR oversight is required. 
    • natural resources or facilities would be impacted beyond normal recreation use.
    • directional signs and markers will be posted for event.
    • the use is proposed for longer than 24 hours. 

  • Additional information:

    Liability insurance: Depending on the nature of your event on any of the above lands, you may need liability insurance as described in this document. Pages 1-3 apply to forest land use permits and pages 2-3 apply to non- forest land use permits.

    Performance bond: A performance bond may be required when the event has the potential for significant damage or disruption. The facility will notify you after reviewing your application if this is necessary.

    Policies: May be obtained through DNR customer service centers

    Adding your event to the DNR calendar: If you would like us to add your event to our calendar, please complete Event Calendar Form.

    Contact information:

    If you have any questions about the information above, please contact:

    Elissa Buck - Event Coordinator

    Executive Order 2019-04 prohibits the solicitation and receipt of political contributions in all state government buildings and grounds, including those managed by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.