Rules and Regulations
- Riding Restrictions
General rules for riding ORVs on forest roads, frozen waters and more.
- Motorized Event Permits (ie. Group Rides)
A permit may be necessary for holding a motorized recreation event.
- ORV Safety Certificate
Riders 16 years old and younger in Michigan must take an approved ORV education course
- Street licensed vehicles on ORV routes and trails
Do you know when you need a street license plate too?
- Operator-Age Restrictions
Restrictions are in effect for children under the age of 16. There also are specific obligations that fall upon the parents or legal guardians of ORV riders.
- ORV Certificate of Title
Certificate of title is required when selling, purchasing or transferring ORV ownership.
- ORV License and Permit Requirements
When and where you need an ORV license and/or permit.
- Michigan Motorized Trail Signing Handbook
This handbook is intended to assist the DNR, trail sponsors and U.S. Departments of Agriculture and Forest Service with trail signing responsibilities when developing and maintaining trails.
* Be sure to check local and county ordinances prior to riding.