There are approximately 4800 public railroad crossings in Michigan. The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) has regulatory responsibilities to assess the physical condition and safety needs of these crossings. MDOT should be notified of safety concerns at crossings. Railroads and road authorities are also required to request a review if there is a planned project in the vicinity of an existing crossing or if a proposed project would create a new crossing. Limited funding is available to assist with projects that improve motorist safety at public railroad crossings.
- Request a Diagnostic Study Team Review
- Rail Safety Territory Map & Contacts
MDOT provides funding assistance for highway-railroad grade crossing surface improvements on local roads. This annual program offers 60% funding for eligible projects, with railroads responsible for the remaining 40% of costs. Projects are selected in compliance with criteria established by state law.
The 2019 Call for Projects will open in early August, with program letters containing additional details mailed to all road authorities and railroads. Application materials for road agencies are now available, with a deadline for submittals of September 28, 2018. Project selections are expected to be confirmed by late November, with authorizations scheduled to be issued in time for the 2019 construction season. In the first two years of the Program we have had over 220 applications resulting in more than 110 approved projects to improve local crossing surfaces.
MDOT provides funding for safety enhancements, like active-warning devices, at existing public grade crossings on local roads and state trunklines. In accordance with federal and state laws, crossings are evaluated statewide to develop annual prioritized projects for safety improvements where they will have the greatest impact for the motoring public. Funding may also be available for crossings affected by road projects.
Crossing Elimination Program
Funding is available to enhance motorist safety by eliminating public railroad crossings on local roads. Cash incentives are available to local road authorities for road closures. Project costs associated with relocating/realigning active track to eliminate crossings are also eligible for funding. Contributions towards grade separations are available as well.
Questions about crossing surface, safety enhancement and elimination programs? Contact Kris Foondle, Local Crossing Project Manager, at 517-335-3054.
- 2017 Crossing Surface Project List
- Crossing Fatalities
- First Responder Videos
- Guidelines for Exempt Signs
- MDOT Guidelines for Highway-Railroad Crossings
- Maintaining Railroad Crossings
- Michigan's Enforcement Guide for Law Enforcement's Response to Railroad Incidents
- Parking Prohibitions Near Crossings
- Project Funding Standards
- Quiet Zones
- Railroad Code of 1993
- School Buses at Crossings
- Snow Plow Tips
- Special Stops Required at Crossings